Chinese Elm - Dead Leaves

kyo

Seed
Reaction score
I went on vacation for 4 days, and came back to this! The branches still have life in them. What should I do to revive my 5 y/o chinese elm? This is my first tree and still lots to learn.

Attachments

• IMG-0631.jpg
    IMG-0631.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-0630.jpg
    IMG-0630.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 52

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
you have already learned a valuable lesson. 4 days is far too long for a poor bonsai to stay home alone.

First aid for dry bonsai:
Immerse the pot in water as soon as possible. Dry soil can be hard to rewet so leave it soak overnight.
Return the tree to its home and continue care. It may need less water while there are no leaves to draw water but keep soil damp.
Keep fingers crossed and all other usual means to recover from tragedy.

If you have caught it in time new shoots will emerge from branches or trunk or roots depending on extent of the dehydration. New shoots may take up to a month or 6 weeks so don't give up hope too soon.
If it does not recover save the pot for a new bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know that 4 days goin' leave anything looking like that.

Welcome to Crazy!

What's that growth low? Tree?

Makes me think it was herbicided.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
That reddish shriveled bark in Elms usually means dead tree, you left it that many days without watering? it looks very dry
What's that growth low? Tree?
Pilea microphyla I think, pretty common weed in comercial bonsais

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went on vacation for 4 days, and came back to this! The branches still have life in them. What should I do to revive my 5 y/o chinese elm? This is my first tree and still lots to learn.
Zooming in, the trunk looks wrinkled. Some of my dead trees looked like that. Isn't the wood very soft when you press a little on it?

Top Bottom