Chinese Elm - Yellowing & Dropping Leaves

epiphonesj

Seed
Reaction score
I'm new to Bonsai and have had my Chinese Elm for approx 1 month.
I've been watering when the top soil is dry but for the last week I've been noticing many leaves turning yellow and dropping off.
I'm wondering if its due to the new environment and potential over watering when it has been dry. Typically once watered it's dry again within a few days.

Current condition:
PXL_20220123_145758792.jpg
PXL_20220123_145753147.jpg

Past photos:
PXL_20211216_232652050.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greeting Traveller!

I used to have an Epiphone Semi-hollow that I liked alot.

Glad another Minstrel has stumbled into this corner of the Tiny Forest.

The Woody Dwarves (Pa-is) will be pleased at your musical arrival.

This place is like a suh-weet communal flea market.. Most trade knowledge/experience.. and will "front" you.. until you gain your own.

I will help you, as others will.. but we need a few questions answered first.

Where are you, generally, located on this sphere, here... Conditions/climates Vary EVERY where.. We are hosting members from Alaska to South Africa... So THIS info will help.

What direction is that window facing?

Where you live... How are your winters? All trees PREFER outside.. and if you are any warmer, in climate, than I.. this tree COULD be spending winters outside...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Normally a bit of leaf drop is to be expected as a tree adjusts to a new environment. However, you may be under-watering it. If the tree is planted in free-draining soil, water should be absorbed right away and flow straight through and out the bottom. If that's the case -- which is ideal for the tree -- you may want to water more often.The key is that, if planted in proper soil, bonsai trees are very different from other potted plants and it's very difficult to over-water them.

epiphonesj

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks @HorseloverFat !
I'm in Staffordshire, West Midlands, UK.
The tree is in a South window and the sun comes up in the East so throughout the day the window gets lots of sunshine.
I could put the tree on the outdoor balcony but I was worried about it being too cold.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks @HorseloverFat !
I'm in Staffordshire, West Midlands, UK.
The tree is in a South window and the sun comes up in the East so throughout the day the window gets lots of sunshine.
I could put the tree on the outdoor balcony but I was worried about it being too cold.
If it's used to being warm.. wait until your temps Are over 40, consistently.. THEN i'd throw in on that balcony. HOW cold do your winters get? I'm unfamiliar with Specific UK climates.

As has been said.. leaf drop/change are common acclimating responses.. and given that you've only had it a month (this is NOTHING to a tree ;) ) I would not worry.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You should expect leaf drop in winter as it is adjusting to your inside environment, especially if you apartment is warm and dry. Was it in a greenhouse when you bought it or outside? You could raise humidity by placing a tray with gravel in it under the tree and keeping water in that as well as occasionally misting it. My Brazilian raintree has lost about 75% of its leaves since I moved it inside last fall but it will leaf out again this spring.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here.. this is ME.. in Green.. and YOU in purple.. the highs and lows if our climates compared throughout the year.
A8B4B4E5-8853-44D8-84F3-1053B373E024.png
You have a neat climate.. Doesn't freeze OR get too much above 70.. that sounds perfect for HUMAN comfort.

Next year.. that Parvifolia can DEFINITELY just remain outdoors.

🤓

Could probably, actually go out now. 😬

When it DOES go outside.. make sure you transition gradually into direct sunlight.. an hour the first.. adding an hour or 2 every day until you're at max.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My guess is a combination of change of conditions, under watering and a natural response to winter.
Good news is that Chinese elms are really tough. I've seen many of these drop all leaves then shoot again a few weeks later when they have adjusted to the new conditions or when care has improved.
It is possible that all day sun inside a window is just a bit too much for a tree that is likely to have been grown in more shaded conditions but the tree should adjust if that's the case.

You can enter a location in your personal profile which definitely helps with advice.

Top Bottom