Chinese juniper turning a bronze color

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi guys I just purchased a large juniper from a bonsai nursery here in the uk I purchased this tree as a project because it was given to the nursery because some one had passed away and the tree had been neglected for many years and it had overgrown and all the foliage was far out and not by the trunk. So the nursery cut it back and let it grow to get it back to health and back budding to fill out the foliage pads. So I was told to let it grow free for a few years and then take it back when it had filled out and we could then work on styling the tree. So any way when I purchased on the day i mentioned the foliage to the nursery as it was turning a bronze color he said it was normal for those types of junipers to go a brown bronze in the winter but it would turn a nice green I the spring. now I trust him as he is a very repritable bonsai professional but I was wondering if anyone else's junipers turn color in the winter aswell.
Here are a few pics.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Completely normal. If it gets cold there, expect more bronzing.
Same tree; winter color and summer color:
IMG_7994.JPG IMG_7529.JPG
Yours appears to be losing the old, interior foliage which is also normal. Nice trunk line. Have fun with it!

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I took a few closer pics of the foliage today as the earlier pics didn't really show the bronzing.
20161114_160925_zpskybnf6ll.jpg
[/URL]

[/URL

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
All of my junipers have started to change color. This is the first time I've seen this in my trees. It's really cool actually.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah this tree needs a lot of looking after for a few years to bring it back to full health and vigor and improve and fill out the foliage. it has great potential more so than a lot of the more refined stock they had at the nursery I'm sure at one point in the past this tree was a great specimen of a tree.

Top Bottom