Chinese Popwa

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep ... that's what the guy said its name was. I saw it on a recent outing along coastal cities with my wife, where she was hunting for rare Bougainvillea species. Very few bonsai at the nurseries there, but then there was THIS thing! I've seen people in Manila that line their walk-ways with very small variegated plants of this, and even a few "forest" settings in small pots in yards, but I don't know if it's been used as a bonsai.

But this old specimen, probably a couple dozen years old by the owners calculation, just creamed out to be put in a pot as if it was some sort of bonsai or special plant. It's a natural, and looks for all the world like a miniature tree, with no need to style it at all - though I do plan to reduce it's height, now 30", to give it better proportions in the pot - an antique Chinese beauty that I've never had a suitable tree for.

The photo fails to show it's truly beautiful architecture and foliage because the trunks are very limber and the foliage frond-like, and it moves with the very slightest of breezes: Since I like to use long exposures for bonsai photography, and since there was a light breeze this morning when I took the picture, the photo does not really do it justice ... but I'll post again later. Enjoy!

Chinese Popwa.jpg

Top Bottom