Chinese Quince (Pseudocydonia Sinensis) leafing out way early

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I've got one too. I got it from Bjorn and he told me if would start to leaf out right after Christmas - and it definitely did. So I think this is pretty much standard for the leafing time. Mine is covered in leaves now as well.

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Quince are the MMA fighters of the bonsai arena. The 2 Chinese Quince I have in the ground still have pristine leaves after multiple sub zero frosts. The Jap Quince I have hasn't ever blinked at frost in the 20 plus years I've had it. It survived - 16C one year with a dozen leaves (unburnt).

Protect it if it if you want but it's one of the toughest trees I've personally ever had on my benches.
Hi Paulpash! I saw your quince on reddit and your comment about how tough they are makes me want one. The nursery nearby (landscape unfortunately) has these. Do you think these would be ideal?

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys for the good questions/comments and to Bryan for the great answers. Funny enough! Here in South UK my Quince (I think Superba) is starting to flower but no leaves, while my shohin Speciosa is leafing before flowering :§ I want to repot both but I'm a bit worry about the timing.. In the meantime like Brian I'm waiting for see what the weather and the plants does considering his repotting limit to decide.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well I got mine from Kaedebonsai-En and he grew them from seeds so I trust they are Chinese quince. Anyway last night was the real test, we hit a low of 16F. If they survive that then I know they are cold hardy!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well I got mine from Kaedebonsai-En and he grew them from seeds so I trust they are Chinese quince. Anyway last night was the real test, we hit a low of 16F. If they survive that then I know they are cold hardy!
Matt sells both species. I got a few Chinese quince from him about three years ago. I think you know the difference.

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Pseudocydonia (a deciduous or semi-evergreen tree) versus chaenomeles (a dense, broad-rounded, deciduous shrub with often-tangled, spiny, gray-brown twigs),

Is the chaenomeles not good for bonsai?

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pseudocydonia (a deciduous or semi-evergreen tree) versus chaenomeles (a dense, broad-rounded, deciduous shrub with often-tangled, spiny, gray-brown twigs),
OK but the topic is about leafing out way early, so what's the difference between the Japanese and the Chinese in that regard?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
OK but the topic is about leafing out way early, so what's the difference between the Japanese and the Chinese in that regard?
The post title asked about Chinese Quince...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Katharsus , I see you are somewhere in central NY. You should be able to maintain chinese quince and prevent early leaf out most years up here, if you have good winter protection. I checked on mine about a week ago and there is no evidence of bud swelling even with the relatively mild weather we've had the past month. That said, some years I resign myself to having to do a lot of moving them in and out in the early spring because they insist on leafing out.

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Katharsus , I see you are somewhere in central NY. You should be able to maintain chinese quince and prevent early leaf out most years up here, if you have good winter protection. I checked on mine about a week ago and there is no evidence of bud swelling even with the relatively mild weather we've had the past month. That said, some years I resign myself to having to do a lot of moving them in and out in the early spring because they insist on leafing out.

Coh, I am near Syracuse and actually make the trip out for the Rochester club meetings most months recently. I’d imagine you must be a member as well.

Interestingly, a couple of my quince seedlings never even lost all of their leaves. I am thinking it’s due to the fact that I got spooked by our early extreme cold snap and moved everything into the garage then. Then with our subsequent mild winter they are all screwed up.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Coh, I am near Syracuse and actually make the trip out for the Rochester club meetings most months recently. I’d imagine you must be a member as well.

Interestingly, a couple of my quince seedlings never even lost all of their leaves. I am thinking it’s due to the fact that I got spooked by our early extreme cold snap and moved everything into the garage then. Then with our subsequent mild winter they are all screwed up.
I haven't been to a meeting in a while, but hope to get back this spring.

When you say they never lost all their leaves, how many leaves are we talking about? Mine drop the vast majority of leaves but there are always a few stragglers (mostly younger leaves) that hang on for dear life. I just cut those off before putting them in storage.

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@coh Not many. I’d say about 8-10 on young shoots. I’m amazed they hold on with very little light most days.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well after the initial flurry of bud swelling mine shut down due to a cold snap that hit. However I was just outisde and checked and buds on all three trees are now popping out. The ones that came out earlier still look good so I guess they were hardy enough to take the cold snap down into the 20s. Friday night we are due for another snap down to 20F so another test of hardiness for them!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Paulpash! I saw your quince on reddit and your comment about how tough they are makes me want one. The nursery nearby (landscape unfortunately) has these. Do you think these would be ideal?
Sorry just saw this (do @Paulpash so I get notified). Yeah I think mine is Texas Scarlet but they all look good.

Top Bottom