Chojubai Quince

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is also a fairly rare cultivar that has rough bark with the small red flower in the dwarf quince, Chojubai. The only one like that, i have seen was not for sale either:eek:.
It takes chojubai a while to develop the rough bark. Obviously, the old one with rough bark are also highly prized!

Hedrick99

Sapling
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the reds are more highly prized. Especially those with very small flowers.

The “red” can vary from pink to orange to red to deep red. The most sought after are the deep red ones, with small flowers.

Like this:

View attachment 183675

View attachment 183676
Wow! That is incredible. Maybe one day. How old is that tree?

(No, it’s not for sale!)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It takes chojubai a while to develop the rough bark. Obviously, the old one with rough bark are also highly prized!
True, they do take quite a while to bark up. I was pointing out, that there is at least one cultivar that has rougher than normal bark and it is very highly prized. It also has the deep red smaller flowers. If you are ever up Portland, Oregon way try to arrange to visit Michael Hagedorn and he can show you the difference. Those attending the Bonsai Rendezvous this coming fall will have the opportunity to register for a tour of his Bonsai garden.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Picked up a chaenomeles superba crimson and gold today from a nursery out in the middle of nowhere for £5. They had loads, dark red flowers. These are really hard to find

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
True, they do take quite a while to bark up. I was pointing out, that there is at least one cultivar that has rougher than normal bark and it is very highly prized. It also has the deep red smaller flowers. If you are ever up Portland, Oregon way try to arrange to visit Michael Hagedorn and he can show you the difference. Those attending the Bonsai Rendezvous this coming fall will have the opportunity to register for a tour of his Bonsai garden.
Yep. Hagedorn developed a love for chojubai when he was in Japan, and for sure, he has some of the best around.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the reds are more highly prized. Especially those with very small flowers.

The “red” can vary from pink to orange to red to deep red. The most sought after are the deep red ones, with small flowers.

Like this:

View attachment 183675

View attachment 183676

(No, it’s not for sale!)

Sure am jealous of this one and your other one:) to the original poster, I might suggest buying a 1 year old plant or several and grow them out for yourself.

Top Bottom