CJR rainbow eucalyptus

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Friggin amazing. I think this is brilliant. Looks like it was all done clip and grow. Can't wait until the warm weather is here for awhile so I can work on mine.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Friggin amazing. I think this is brilliant. Looks like it was all done clip and grow. Can't wait until the warm weather is here for awhile so I can work on mine.
I found out that I can't clip this year's growth at least until late summer. As long as the bark is still green and the wood still soft, the tree either will just drop the branch or will back bud only at the node, which is often rather long. However, once the wood turns hard, the tree will back bud freely anywhere and the distance between branches can be as short as you want. The hard thing to do is to find a balance since it is hard to get the bark to heal over the cuts. The bark is critical for the rainbow color I want.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about winter pruning? Or very early spring? That is all hardwood.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What about winter pruning? Or very early spring? That is all hardwood.
I pruned in early spring just before bud break and late summer before the second growth season in the fall. What I don't want is the energy expended to grow new branch and the tree got nothing back for spending it i.e. growing tender branches that just die in the winter, or growing branches that just die back with aggressive pruning too early.

Reaction score
I pruned in early spring just before bud break and late summer before the second growth season in the fall. What I don't want is the energy expended to grow new branch and the tree got nothing back for spending it i.e. growing tender branches that just die in the winter, or growing branches that just die back with aggressive pruning too early.
Just wanted to say thank you for documenting all of this for us. I just ordered a RE and I’m looking to do the same thing. Please keep updating this thread, it’s a lifeline!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
What kind of soil have you been using? I was planning on using a tropical bonsai mix, but I am not sure if the tree will thrive. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. Any advice is much appreciated. I am new to bonsai art. I have been obsessively researching. I currently have two, but I’m still a beginner and I know I will have casualties. I am in Richmond, TX. Also, full blood cajun girl here. :)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What kind of soil have you been using? I was planning on using a tropical bonsai mix, but I am not sure if the tree will thrive. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. Any advice is much appreciated. I am new to bonsai art. I have been obsessively researching. I currently have two, but I’m still a beginner and I know I will have casualties. I am in Richmond, TX. Also, full blood cajun girl here. :)
I'm a cheapo. I've been using Napa floor dry mostly with just a little bit of pumice and bark.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm a cheapo. I've been using Napa floor dry mostly with just a little bit of pumice and bark.
Thank you! I have at least a week to get something together. I was thinking that going with a traditional tropical bonsai soil, but I wasn’t sure if the RE needed something more hardy to survive.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine was kept in a greenhouse over winter (not my greenhouse). When I got it back it was so scale and aphid infested that I cut it back hard to get rid of the pests. It never recovered.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’ve been looking for one of these.
2 local nurseries said they had some.
On the phone.
Somehow we’re out of stock when I got there.
I do want at least one non-native tree in my collection (other than a nasty Schinus )

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I’ve been looking for one of these.
2 local nurseries said they had some.
On the phone.
Somehow we’re out of stock when I got there.
I do want at least one non-native tree in my collection (other than a nasty Schinus )
There are some in punta gorda about 1.5 feet for $65. I haven’t found them anywhere else but with what I’ve read about the the way they grow that’s only a years growth so I don’t know about that price. Seems exorbitant. I’ve only seen FB posts about it. If you’re interested add me and I’ll share it to you.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There are some in punta gorda about 1.5 feet for $65. I haven’t found them anywhere else but with what I’ve read about the the way they grow that’s only a years growth so I don’t know about that price. Seems exorbitant. I’ve only seen FB posts about it. If you’re interested add me and I’ll share it to you.

That’s a Crazy price for what’s probably a recently rooted cutting or young seeding, but when you are the only one with them, I guess you can charge what you want.
I’ll check with the botanical gardens over here, might get lucky or at least be able to get some cuttings to try and root.
I haven’t been on FB in years, this place and a couple other hobby-specific fora make up the bulk of my on-line time.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
That’s a Crazy price for what’s probably a recently rooted cutting or young seeding, but when you are the only one with them, I guess you can charge what you want.
I’ll check with the botanical gardens over here, might get lucky or at least be able to get some cuttings to try and root.
I haven’t been on FB in years, this place and a couple other hobby-specific fora make up the bulk of my on-line time.
Shopping online they’re insane. Cheaper than her but also shipping and waits for stock. Everyone is back ordered except growers. There are a couple tropical specialty nurseries on this coast I’ll check them out and if I find a reasonable price I’ll pick some up for you.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Shopping online they’re insane. Cheaper than her but also shipping and waits for stock. Everyone is back ordered except growers. There are a couple tropical specialty nurseries on this coast I’ll check them out and if I find a reasonable price I’ll pick some up for you.
I don't understand the high prices. They are dead easy to germinate and air layer. They also grow pretty fast.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I don't understand the high prices. They are dead easy to germinate and air layer. They also grow pretty fast.
Just found 12-18” for $40 a friend is supposed to look at who it was and tell me exactly if anyone is interested. His from 6 months ago is over 5 feet in that time after it accidentally got sprayed with roundup lol.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
RARE!!

Rainbow Eucalyptus trees

For sale.

Super fast growing, 4 - 6 ft per yr.

WHOLESALE PRICE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC

Approx 10" to 12" + tall (PHOTOS)

$20.each. FIRM

All charge cards welcome

Open 7 days a week.

By appointment.

Call ((772))((532))((6648))

Located Fellsmere 32948

Found this on Facebook for what it’s worth @Cajunrider, not sure of your exact location. That’s a couple hours for me. So I’m tempted but I’d spend more on gas than the trees!

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
RARE!!

Rainbow Eucalyptus trees

Time for a group purchase?

For sale.

Super fast growing, 4 - 6 ft per yr.

WHOLESALE PRICE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC

Approx 10" to 12" + tall (PHOTOS)

$20.each. FIRM

All charge cards welcome

Open 7 days a week.

By appointment.

Call ((772))((532))((6648))

Located Fellsmere 32948

Found this on Facebook for what it’s worth @Cajunrider, not sure of your exact location. That’s a couple hours for me. So I’m tempted but I’d spend more on gas than the trees!

Top Bottom