Close call - Be careful BNutter

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Non-venomous blue racer on the farm, it can put quite a bite on you, draw blood, but usually is very quick to get away. It's a big snake, can get up to 6 feet long. So far have not seen any Rattlers. We do have trash pandas.
When we lived in Virginia, I found a large black racer that got caught in some plastic mesh fencing I had left outside. That was one unhappy snake! I put on thick gloves and a long sleeved sweatshirt and got to work. I had to carefully cut the plastic mesh he was caught in. But he was pretty fat and was caught in a number of loops. Took a while and when the last loop was cut he was out of there like a bolt of lightning. Didn't take any bites but he tried!

Up here we don't seem to have anything that is venomous. Haven't seen any black widows (they were everywhere in Virginia), no recluses, no poisonous snakes. Supposedly there is a small population of Massasauga rattlesnakes in a swamp about 10 miles from here but I don't know of anyone who has ever seen one there.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
When we lived in Virginia, I found a large black racer that got caught in some plastic mesh fencing I had left outside. That was one unhappy snake! I put on thick gloves and a long sleeved sweatshirt and got to work. I had to carefully cut the plastic mesh he was caught in. But he was pretty fat and was caught in a number of loops. Took a while and when the last loop was cut he was out of there like a bolt of lightning. Didn't take any bites but he tried!

Up here we don't seem to have anything that is venomous. Haven't seen any black widows (they were everywhere in Virginia), no recluses, no poisonous snakes. Supposedly there is a small population of Massasauga rattlesnakes in a swamp about 10 miles from here but I don't know of anyone who has ever seen one there.
Louisiana is like Autralia of the South. We got everything nasty and then some.
Good thing we can eat most of them.... except for cotton mouth. They just are not edible under normal circumstance.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I put a pellet in the ass of a dangerous Ground Hog yesterday. That's as much action as I want. I'll poison my own mice, thank you.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So far my only find in my plants are the occasional bee.
I have managed to not get stung, yet.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Only black widows here for me. Usually under my benches so they don't bother me much.

Caught this little guy taking refuge from the sun
froggy.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
We have had a ridiculous amount of rain here this spring, so the mosquitoes, gnats, ect have been terrible. I was outside for maybe 45 minutes repotting a tree yesterday and after a shower, we ran some errands. Welts started appearing on my arms and neck, where apparently something other than a mosquito had bitten me. Then I noticed a couple little red dots right below my eyebrow and my eye started puffing up. When I woke up this morning, my eye was swollen completely shut. Took 15 minutes with an ice pack just to be able to open it a bit.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
We have had a ridiculous amount of rain here this spring, so the mosquitoes, gnats, ect have been terrible. I was outside for maybe 45 minutes repotting a tree yesterday and after a shower, we ran some errands. Welts started appearing on my arms and neck, where apparently something other than a mosquito had bitten me. Then I noticed a couple little red dots right below my eyebrow and my eye started puffing up. When I woke up this morning, my eye was swollen completely shut. Took 15 minutes with an ice pack just to be able to open it a bit.
Are you going to see a doctor for this?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Are you going to see a doctor for this?
No, the swelling is going down. I just think I am very sensitive to bug bites. Won't be going outside anymore without dousing myself with Cutter.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!
Well, even though I put animal repellent on my precious Medjool palm trees that I planted a few weeks ago, yesterday evening one rabbit insisted on biting off my palm to feast on the palm core. Well. Let's just say that I temporary became Robin Hood and the gator in the pond was fed.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, even though I put animal repellent on my precious Medjool palm trees that I planted a few weeks ago, yesterday evening one rabbit insisted on biting off my palm to feast on the palm core. Well. Let's just say that I temporary became Robin Hood and the gator in the pond was fed.

Yum, I love heart of palms as well.

Top Bottom