Coast Redwood Grove Project

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think I've posted this here before, so I was thinking of making these winter forums more lively by posting this short project progression - until I realized I should instead have saved my money: for a wee bit more money I could have bought one of those Ichiban tools. I feel a bit ashamed for being so hasty, ruining my chances to enter world class/professional status to which that tool would surely have elevated me. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to continue for now mucking around as a hobbyist enjoying myself with both inferior material and inferior tools. :(

This thing? Some old coast redwood stump bought in 1907 from Mendicino Bonsai, all bushy before that first photo showing initial trimming and direction. It then went in the ground for two years until the second, 2009 photo this summer.

It'll remain in the ground, probably with a few of the trunks removed as it goes along, until the remaining 5-7 trunks are about 1" - 1 1/2" inches thick. I'll then dig it up, carve some of the dead wood, like those two stumps, and start refining the image. If, by then, I have one of those Ichiban tools, this should turn out quite nice. Otherwise I'll just have to be content to bimble along enjoying the hobby.

Thoughts, comments, growling, etc welcome, but may be ignored. :) Enjoy.

Attachments

• CRW-F07.jpg
    CRW-F07.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 102
  • RedwoodGroud09.jpg
    RedwoodGroud09.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 128

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice stump grouper. I'm sure you ment 2007 ?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lotsa potential there. I wish I could grow these here in Va., but they're not winter hardy in this region.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice stump Will.
DaveV LOL, he won't have enough time to grow branches if he bought this in 1907, I saw that one too.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lots of possibilities with that piece of material. What makes it especially nice is that it's unusual, meaning you won't end up with the same old formal upright we're used to seeing. I don't know how fast the coast redwoods grow. What is it, a 5-10 year project?

Zach

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks folks. 1907 certainly gives it an air of impressiveness, though - maybe I should stick by my guns on that one. :D Perhaps I should have you proofread my book, Dave? :eek:

They grow quickly once they get settled in the ground here, Zach. Trunk thickness has been nil in two years so far, and judging from two landscaping redwoods we put in the yard here, I'd guess another 3-4 years should produce the requisite girth. After that it'll go into a training pot for a few years, so yes, about a ten year project altogether.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always remember the old axiom, "first year it sleeps, second year it creeps, third year it leaps." I planted out some bald cypress seedlings (grown from seed) for landscaping purposes several years ago, and they're just now starting to surge higher. Same thing with a Chinese elm cutting, took four years before it really started to put on rapid growth. Your coast redwood ought to start girthing up in another year or two.

Keep us posted.

Zach

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lotsa potential there. I wish I could grow these here in Va., but they're not winter hardy in this region.

Actually rock, they are. I live in Prince William County and this is my Coast Redwoods second winter.

Top Bottom