Coastal Redwood - black spots/sap

Trebor

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello, I noticed a couple black/sappy spots on the trunk of my coastal redwood and--because they looked odd to me--I wanted to see if knowledgeable people could tell me what it is/if it's anything to worry about. My wishful thinking is that the trunk is just expanding, but who knows. Otherwise, the tree appears to be healthy and happy to me. It's the second winter I've had it. Was repotted earlier this year. Spends the winter in a sunroom on our rooftop (Cincinnati, OH). I mist it every other day or so and has plenty of new buds popping. Happy to provide any other info needed and appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. Thanks, Rob.
PXL_20201222_172901062.jpgPXL_20201222_172838448.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hard to tell from the pictures but the little black dots look like they might be spider mites

Trebor

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I did the white paper test (my understanding is this is how you see if you have spider mites) and did see ONE little spot crawling around. I also tore a piece of the moss growing on the surface and saw a couple little bugs crawling around but nothing crazy. I'm not sure if this will change any of the above advice (which i greatly appreciate), but let me know if it does!

I'm assuming if I should address this sooner than later. Also that it is not a huge issue unless whatever is at issue gets out of hand. (?)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Addressing this sooner, will help keep the problem a vague problem. Ignoring it, things may progress to the point of being easy to diagnose, which is potentially disastrous for the tree.

Low level problems can be treated with mild chemicals like neem and miticide type soaps. Wait and you might have to reach for more toxic chemicals.

Trebor

Sapling
Reaction score
Update. It looks like some sort of boring larvae to me. I've read on the forums to poke the thing and seal with cut paste. Can anyone confirm if I'm on the right track and how much trouble the tree is in?

Attachments

• 2021_0120_13581400.jpg
    2021_0120_13581400.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 2021_0120_13581400~2.jpg
    2021_0120_13581400~2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 37
  • 2021_0120_13581400~3.jpg
    2021_0120_13581400~3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 33

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That’s a great little Redwood. That nasty alien like thing needs to go, get it before it explodes out the other side!;)

Trebor

Sapling
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there a big maggot looking thing in there?
Gross right!? I stabbed it a bunch with a needle and will try to get it out, spray it with some insecticide and seal it with cut paste. It didn't move or anything, and didn't feel alive, but what do i know?

Top Bottom