Collecting a Cedar Elm

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess once the bonsai bug bites you're in for a ride... I was picking up food Saturday for my wife and while I was waiting for the food I decided to walk the area around the area. The place is right next to a ravine, and sometimes get water rushing down when they get heavy rains. There were quite a few interesting trees, but nothing I would think it was worth the extra effort to collect. Then as I was reaching the end of the fence I noticed this little guy. The base of the trunk is around 5-6" wide and have some nice movement. Buds are not swelling, but neither are any of the hundreds of little and full size elms around the area. I talked to the property owner and she ok'd me lifting it up.

I'm probably going to go over there during the weekend and wanted to know if they area as hardy as the Chinese elm when it comes to root work, and if I should reduce the branches at this time to help balance the root mass I can lift without damage to the top.

f.jpg

e.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like possibly nice bonsai material. Nice movement and taper. It's difficult to see what's going on with the roots. There may be nice radial nebari below the soil level.

Make sure you have permission to collect. Just from what you described in your OP, it didn't seem that this was on your property.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cory

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just from what you described in your OP, it didn't seem that this was on your property.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cory
Last sentence first paragraph, yes, I have her permission.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Maiden69 my subdivision has a much in our green belt.. i wanna collect several also. these are great trees.

Top Bottom