collecting backpack

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've just about caught up on collecting and repotting so I thought I'd share what I use to scout and collect trees. The backpack is a really nice leather jobbie my wife didn't use anymore. I cut off all the frilly bits and put a real rope closure on it. Folding saw, old pair of pruners, homemade hori hori knife and gloves are the main items. I also carry flagging tape, a few paper towels, several feet of cord and 3 or 4 plastic grocery bags for the trees. And I never walk in the woods without my white oak walking stick. It does a multitude of things: helps with balance in muddy conditions, clears spider webs and poison ivy away, pokes around tree bases to see root structure and dispatches the odd snake or two. I even have a line drawn on it at an inch below my boot tops to test the swamp water for depth.

100_2214.JPG

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pretty nice leather for a collecting pack :) Most folks around here just use an empty aluminum backback frame that they tie the tree to after wrapping the rootball in plastic garbage bags.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wow, that's a pretty serious frame for serious trees! Fortunately, I'm never more than a few hundred yards from the truck, so any tree too big to go inside the pack just gets slung over my shoulder for the short walk.

JimmyBeefshank

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I absolutely love my packframe. It's a must have for long hikes into terrain. Some of the most important parts for me are versitility and long wearing comfort, it doesn't matter whether it's got a tree to hold or a three year old strapped to it, if it's uncomfortable then it's no good. Make sure you don't get one that is too big for you and that it is solidly constructed with thick padded straps.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't EVEN want to know. :eek: No, really , my wife will not buy any clothes or accessories if they aren't 50 to 75% off She can go to Macy's and come back with a SACK of clothes for 20 bucks. She's a keeper.

wedevi1039

Seed
Reaction score
Hey there!
My packframe is fantastic. For long walks into the wilderness, it's a must-have. Versatility and long-wearing comfort are two of the most crucial features for me; it doesn't matter if it's holding a tree or a three-year-old; if it's unpleasant, it's no good. Make sure it's the right size for you and has thick padded straps.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have a Eberlestock frame pack. This thing is beast and super customizable. I’d highly recommend!

Attachments

• 421A7BA5-1B4C-4C2C-8B36-26CF615A7A21.jpeg
    421A7BA5-1B4C-4C2C-8B36-26CF615A7A21.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 20

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My collecting pack is a cheap Walmart book bag and I too am never too far from the car. I have a folding surplus shovel with serrations on the edges, a bigger shovel that doubles as a walking stick, a small hand pick, a folding saw, a few trash bags with zip ties, marking tape, napkins and a bottles of water. @Joe Dupre' im gonna have to steal that idea of boot height mark on the walking stick, genius!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have a XL root slayer shovel that is also used for walking, water level testing, snake and wild pig chasing, a Corona big folding saw, a pair of gloves, a cold-steel survivor knife and 50 ft of paracord.

PS: The XL root slayer shovel is a beast! An absolute must for me.

wedevi1039

Seed
Reaction score
Hey there!
My backpack is fantastic. For long walks into the wilderness, it's a must-have. Versatility and long-wearing comfort are two of the most crucial features for me; it doesn't matter if it's holding a tree or a three-year-old; if it's unpleasant, it's no good. Make sure it's the right size for you and has thick padded straps.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have a XL root slayer shovel that is also used for walking, water level testing, snake and wild pig chasing, a Corona big folding saw, a pair of gloves, a cold-steel survivor knife and 50 ft of paracord.

PS: The XL root slayer shovel is a beast! An absolute must for me.
Forgot to say that I pretty much don't have a backpack. I walk into the woods with my shovel and will walk out with the shovel on my shoulder and the tree hanging from it. Knife, saw, and paracord are in my jeans pockets.
PS: Against a charging wild pig, this thing is more effective than a 1911 pistol.
1651755167965.png

Top Bottom