Collecting in practically summer time

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You could try air layering it just under that chop this time of year, hornbeams air layer easily. Then you would have the tapered section and be farther along. 😉
This is a possibility. This year is my first attempt at air layering. I got some growing roots on various trees just haven't made the cut yet

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Being its close to the ground do you think it would be better to ground layer?
That depends on how much of that straight lower section you want to keep. I have never done a ground layer though so I can’t offer any advice on that.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Interested to know the mortality rate of these trees from all collected now in a year to 18 mo…🤔
100% had I not rescued them. We will find out next year :)

I thought you were moving and you were trying to scale down.😁
Just can’t bear to see them killed. Planted too close to one another, they had to be culled. They will be killer bonsai in a few years.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
100% had I not rescued them. We will find out next year :)

Just can’t bear to see them killed. Planted too close to one another, they had to be culled. They will be killer bonsai in a few years.
Amen brother. We’re of the same mind.

The more we can “collect out of season” successfully and perhaps share these techniques, the stronger we all will be, especially when saving trees from certain doom.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Amen brother. We’re of the same mind.

The more we can “collect out of season” successfully and perhaps share these techniques, the stronger we all will be, especially when saving trees from certain doom.
I draw a lot out my knowledge gained as a youth in Asia. If I have difficulties with keeping these trees alive, the next thing I will do is to put them in clear plastic box, use barely wet perlite/vermiculite mix and treat the collected tree like cuttings. When I was young, I had great success making weeklong trips going into the jungle digging up tree stumps and reviving them as late as 3 weeks later in clear plastic tent in the shade using rice hull & sawdust as media. Some trees took as long as 3 months to come back to life.

If you look at my pictures, one of them show plastic bags covering some of the containers. Those are for the weaker trees which barely had any roots. I had to cut their roots in order to preserve the trees we decided to keep in the grove. A couple of them are just stumps with roots cut to 1" from the trunk. They are in 50/50 vermiculite/perlite mix with just some water spray on the mix. I look for condensation on the plastic the next morning. If there isn't much then I mist it some more. Other than that I won't water them for the next 4 weeks. I expect the Mayhaws to survive even in that condition. The Liquidambars are the ones over which I have concern since I've been told they are finicky once in leaf. Fortunately we have them in abundance so if they die, there is not really any loss.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Today I went to the fence section that is scheduled to be cleared in a month. I saw 3 Liquidambars that I wanted to collect. Instead of digging them now, I went ahead and chopped them. I will come back and dig them out later. It's the first time I try it this way. We'll see in a few months.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What a difference a couple months of experience brings. I collected 2 large Mayhaws and 1 sweetgum today. Temperature right now is 94 and will be 97-98 F this afternoon according to the weather forecast. I would not have attempted this two months ago.

The two Mayhaws have huge root bases. They will be buried deep into soil mix to help them recover but later when potted in bonsai pot, they will have 9-10" root bases!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What a difference a couple months of experience brings. I collected 2 large Mayhaws and 1 sweetgum today. Temperature right now is 94 and will be 97-98 F this afternoon according to the weather forecast. I would not have attempted this two months ago.

The two Mayhaws have huge root bases. They will be buried deep into soil mix to help them recover but later when potted in bonsai pot, they will have 9-10" root bases!
0263C743-1C08-447C-B632-4514C2FF7E8F.jpeg
7ABCD6EC-A64B-4D48-94F6-CCF054952156.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a possibility. This year is my first attempt at air layering. I got some growing roots on various trees just haven't made the cut yet

That layer sounds like a good idea.

Seems the trunk thins as it hits the soil.

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I see no roots uncle C. Are you sure they will make it through the brutal heat we are having? Not just bud out from stored energy? Fingers crossed.
They will root with zero issues. I've collected 2 dozens and haven't lost one. I've checked and every tree 4 weeks after collection have substantial amount of roots!
The two in the pictures actually have more roots than some others I have done.
Here is an example
Before. Root severely pruned to flat base (80%). Planted in shallow 3” of potting soil. Lots of water.
9596140D-EF87-4D2D-B2DC-E6EFE6FBA9EA.jpeg

4 weeks. Roots about 2” long.

32B650DC-D57B-4A95-B0B4-8654229340BC.jpeg

Last edited:

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That layer sounds like a good idea.

Seems the trunk thins as it hits the soil.

Sorce
I looks like it thins in the pic but the left side has moss on it and is kinda camouflaged. I think it will get layered but it's going to have to wait unfortunately.

Top Bottom