Cork bark elm semi cascade

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree was started from a large piece of root from a much bigger tree. It sat in a pot for a couple of years growing a leader, and after turning it around a few times in my hand I came up with this design. I cut it back, wired it, and crammed it into its new home. The pot looks too small but these elms are really tough and can be developed in a small space. When I was done I planted about a dozen of the bigger, more interesting chunks of root that I had pruned.

Attachments

• IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 97

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree was started from a large piece of root from a much bigger tree
Was it you that got one of those giants from Evergreen Gardenworks? I can't remember.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh! Very cool tree! Moss loves the bark though doesn't it?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome bonsai!
I have some elms going.Hope to have some trunks in a couple years.
I am going to wire mine early and then grow massive leaders before I remove them.
Zelkova also.
I am planning on using large bulb pans,but would not mind growing leaders in the ground either the elms, nervous about exposing chinese elm fresh wacked roots to native earth as I have seen lots of black spot from this.Anyone else experiencee this with chinese elm?
I plan on overwintering them in yard dirt while leader is growing though.Then prune roots every spring and put back in bulb pans.
Thanks for inspirationo_O

Attachments

• IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Jimmy Niel

Seed
Reaction score
Awesome bonsai!
I am going to wire mine early and then grow massive leaders before I remove them.
Zelkova also.
I am planning on using large bulb pans,but would not mind growing leaders in the ground either the elms, nervous about exposing chinese elm fresh wacked roots to native earth as I have seen lots of black spot from this.Anyone else experiencee this with chinese elm?
I plan on overwintering them in yard dirt while leader is growing though.Then prune roots every spring and put back in bulb pans.
Awesome bonsai!
Zelkova also.

CM. Was into Bonsai many years back. Have a nice volunteer ulmus par. "Frosty" Chinese Elm from the 40 ft. Bonsai mistake , now in front yard ,from 30 yr. ago. Thinking of wiring it as soon as transplant shock is past for that Classic Bonsai look. Any tips?
Jpniel

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Jimmy Niel Pictures would help.I will help where I can.Maybe make a new thread for it.
I need wiring practice.Just let me get that right out.
Here is a photo of what not to do on a zelkova I used to have and then a nice picture of what to shoot for when wiring,I think Kimura's wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    431.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 49

Jimmy Niel

Seed
Reaction score
image.jpg
@Jimmy Niel Pictures would help.I will help where I can.Maybe make a new thread for it.
I need wiring practice.Just let me get that right out.
Here is a photo of what not to do on a zelkova I used to have and then a nice picture of what to shoot for when wiring,I think Kimura's wiring.
I'm thinking an upright / semi cascade. Not sure how to post pics yet. Prolly upload file.
I belonged to the Chicago Botanical Garden Bonsai club for a few years but, I live 30 mi south and its 15 miles north so traffic was always a problem

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 146730
I'm thinking an upright / semi cascade. Not sure how to post pics yet. Prolly upload file.
I belonged to the Chicago Botanical Garden Bonsai club for a few years but, I live 30 mi south and its 15 miles north so traffic was always a problem

The Midwest Bonsai Society also meets at the Garfield Park Conservatory. The meeting times are on their website.

The Prairie State Bonsai Society meets at the Morton Arboretum, as an alternative. Not quite South of Chicago, but a. Loser option if you live to the West of the City.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Jimmy Niel There are many here with vast experiance with chinese elm.Make a thread asking how the variagated types do with bonsai techniques.
If this were zelkova I would be of more help, never created much elm and variagated types.
Otherwise I would say wire and grow a massive leader like in my drawing to fatten the trunk.
@Smoke is very good with elm.

Top Bottom