Corny jigs

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Total accident, Tom Waits is one, or the best, poets I like.

"Made-up" cynicism (because I think he has a deep sympathy for all people), breaking bigot barriers, but so close to what simple people can experience and feel. With my students, I would play them, and the discuss about what could happen to those kids that left my room when class was dismissed :

... And though the English I learnt was British-like, I'd wave them goodbye saying "Take care!".

Went to the local Fine Arts museum again (1796 or so, though it was moved sevaral times, and a lot ot art works were destroyed during WWII...) -one floor each time, after one hour, or 75 minutes, you can't concentrate on what you see.

PS: went there in late morning, then we had a meal, champagne, and a couple of glasses of wine :

Art, love and "cuisine", why would you ask for more ?... :cool:
Tom Waits will forever be at the top of my list. I remember the first song of his I ever heard was Heart Attack and Vine when I was around 15, and the one line that influenced me more than almost anything else in life: Don't you know there ain't no devil; There's just God when he's drunk.
It was another decade before I rediscovered him, and just in time for me to really understand it.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
And to keep with the holiday spirit…

I just love this song. Not only because I experienced what the "drunk tank" was when I was in my late teens-early twenties, but because I can understand how drunken people who had their own lot of problems could sometimes be rude to the ones yhey love. Even using insults that don't carry any of the exclusion that the well-thinking bigots that censored tghe song think.

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing... (Zigmund Klaptock - or was it Albert Weganstein?...)

Tom Waits, is also one of my favorites....

Me too ! When I was a reacher - EDIT : teacher - (never drunk or else on the job !), I sometimes played one of his songs with my older pupils (16-18 yr-olds), gave them the lyrics and ask them to react :

One of my sons got beaten unconscious because he tried to help a girl that was assaulted by drunken people outside a "party".
The girl never sued the aggressors, which she "knewed", and my son is OK. It could have been worse.
It could have been worse because no one had a knife or a gun.

I sometimes regretted I had no daughters, only sons, but now, I'm just happy that my kids have "une éducation, une morale, des valeurs".

Trying to fing a song that would close this, message, the first one that came to my mind :

Happy New Year everyone 🌈

A.K.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Warning! Not for delicate sensibilities.

(For our non-US friends... This is some poor-grammar, unlearned delirious music....

VERY American. Also VERY much NOT one of my favorites.)

....but corny, 'round here (in the state of the bullet). 🤪

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Even cornier, "les soeurs Goadec", three sisters who sang in Breton( late 60s, early 70s)

They had the rhythm, they didn't need the drum !

A small number of people still speak Breton at home, but more and more young people chose it as a second language at school.

Even "local pop stars" that are from Brittany take up trads like "Tri Martolod" :

Somehow I missed this a year ago, and I'm disappointed in myself for it.

I've been trying to work on my tiny bit of terrible French since starting work doing customer service for a mostly Canadian market. I can answer the phone, but that's about it 😂

Time to dig into it a bit more thoroughly, and music seems a good teacher.
I'd appreciate any recommendations.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
music seems a good teacher.

I did learn a lot listening to and singing along with the Beatles 😁
It's difficult to recommend anything, it depends on the kind of music you like of course. And I'm a bit stuck in the 70s-80s when I mainly listened to CSNY, the Doors, Zappa, etc. The Sparks too!

I really must open a Skype account one of these days...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
"...Once the doors of perception are cleansed, we may see reality how it truly is..."

:D

Not so long ago (about 10 years ago), I had a student whose favorite song was :

He wasn't a depressive kid. Maybe he had the kind of experience many of us had 50 years ago, you know the things that make you think everything you think is profound, and colourful...

Met him by chance last year in a street of Orléans, he was having a coffee with a friend : phew, he's all right now :cool:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
PS : I pruned trees and bushes in the cold (here, about 7°C, 45°F), but the light was magnificient. Blue sky, no wind, abnd the orangeing hue before sunset... Beautiful!
Back inside, had a drink, and a smoke, and thought of my... "psychedelix years"😂

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Tough guys like me are romantic at heart 😂 😂 😂

I hope I am, I think I am "Quelqu'un de bien", someone you can rely on... ;)

PS : @ShadyStump : the rhymes are difficult for anglosaxons, the "nasal" sounds are somewhat strange. Being of Polish parents, I know there are some similar phonems, but even in France there are (sometimes very) different accents. The above song is what some would call "received pronunciation" in some places, the sort of "national" language that is supposed to be the norm.

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
With a slight accent from the south, but he was so "far-out", an anarchist from Italian background, if that means anything : I am a 100% French, from Polish Mum and Dad, 0% religious sectarian, 100% Republican, the French way : Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité :cool:

<LOL> : but that was a joke, it's a nice song;

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

The accent is slightly "Parisien", but that's perhaps because of a personal way of "munching" words...

For english-speaking people, the "r" sound is a bit difficult, but the "an", "on", "in/ain/ein" nasal sounds are the most difficult, not many indo-european languages have these sounds.

"Robota nie zając" : the "ą" sounds like what we write "on".

Gainsbourg :

Top Bottom