"Cosmic" style bonsai -- Thoughts?

dk07

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was reading this blog post from bonsai empire (No I'm not affiliated with them in any way), and I'm curious what others think about this kind of "new age, modern" style.

Article here: https://www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/kozumikku

To me it seems intriguing, and I'm half tempted to try one or two out for myself with some ideas in mind. Does anybody have one of their own they've tried? Any tips or downfalls to avoid? What species can lend themselves to this kind of style, and what trees can't?

Let's Discuss!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Already an ongoing discussion, but maybe we can spare @cishepard the trouble of her progression thread getting blasted.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think it's a very interesting "genre" of bonsai, if you will. The thing that interests me the most is that Laurent espouses NEVER trimming branches. He just let's them run and wires them where they need to go. I think this singular decision is the most important aspect of the style's field, and one of the reasons it is so dissimilar to other bonsai.

Also, when researching this movement, don't forget about Hervé Dora, one of the co-creators of the style.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was reading this blog post from bonsai empire (No I'm not affiliated with them in any way), and I'm curious what others think about this kind of "new age, modern" style.

Article here: https://www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/kozumikku

To me it seems intriguing, and I'm half tempted to try one or two out for myself with some ideas in mind. Does anybody have one of their own they've tried? Any tips or downfalls to avoid? What species can lend themselves to this kind of style, and what trees can't?

Let's Discuss!
Read through the link to the other post here on "cosmic bonsai." It ain't new and it certainly ain't modern. It is a re-naming of an archaic style (octopus style) that was mostly abandon or went out of style a hundred years ago. The most recent version has just been dressed up with a "groundbreaking" title and action figures.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha it seems to get strong reactions. So in that sense it's refreshing. If bonsai is really "art" then it's supposed to stir emotion. I personally don't like the look of "cosmic style" or "octopus style" or whatever label you want, but I'm glad some folks are doing something different. Whether it's resurrecting an old style or not, it breaks up the monotony and makes some people mad so... I'll take it

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll say that I'm glad the discussion is being had, particularly @rockm's revealing that it's not as, "outside the box," as it might first appear.

Personally, it's not my cup of tea. I lean more toward naturalistic interpretations and I cut-and-grow allot.
Still, it's nice to see a variety out there, and I'll probably play with octopus/cosmic style myself in the future. I can think of a fistful of species native in my region that might be particularly well suited to it, and it'd be fun to find out.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I both like it and don't like it.
I like the new swing of design, even if it has been done before, I like that there's a fresh wind blowing towards trying something else.
From what I've seen in real life.. It's like a comic book store window of figurines and steampunk stuff and I've never liked that style or genre in general. Even if I would have a liking to it, 1 tree and 4-6 figurines is unbalanced and a messy appearance.

So
Style: 8/10
Execution: 3/10

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
“Cosmic style” doesn’t do much for me. The Mirai Asymmetry podcast that he did with Ryan Neil turned me off even more. The whole thing seems a little absurd in my humble opinion.

It doesn’t bother me that others wish to pursue this, but I will not be participating.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The Mirai Asymmetry podcast that he did with Ryan Neil turned me off even more. The whole thing seems a little absurd in my humble opinion.
Yeah, I found the pariah act to be a little grating. I really like his trees, but i’m pretty iffy on the displays. I don’t mind “loud” displays either, but it seems like there’s not a lot of variety in the themes chosen.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's all fair, but I will point out that the absurdity is the point.

For me, the rare occasions when I actually get to sit with a tree, take my time, think and work through a design or technique or another, and not be dragged about by the mundane absurdities; those moments are very much about being grounded for once. I've found in my life that I must often and zealously embrace an absurdist philosophy, embrace the lunacy and ridiculousness of the moment, or else be trampled by it. My trees are where I get to come back down to earth. Like a sailor who's been underway so that a walk on firm land leaves him sea sick for a bit, his legs having become so accustomed to the shifting of the waters.

Cosmic/octopus style is for the opposite bunch. Those for whom it is a rare treat to engage their whimsical side while still doing so looking toward the future.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Read through the link to the other post here on "cosmic bonsai." It ain't new and it certainly ain't modern. It is a re-naming of an archaic style (octopus style) that was mostly abandon or went out of style a hundred years ago. The most recent version has just been dressed up with a "groundbreaking" title and action figures.
Can you share other examples of this style? Thank you

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I enjoy the style of the tree, and people's responses are great to see and read

The display didn't ring my bell as much as the tree alone.

Cheers to the discussion

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you share other examples of this style? Thank you
Do a search on Octopus and Takazukuri style bonsai. You'll come up with a few images. If you look through older bonsai books, there are drawings from the Meiji-early Showa eras in a few. Some forms are more exaggerated than others.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am also considering making one with a Chinese elm. I half ass attempted one with a ficus that I may revisit. I absolutely do not like the action figures. But this is personal as I don't like any action figures, ever. I do like some bronze figures and occasionally mudmen, so this might become part of my half assed plan.
I should add that there are also many Japanese bonsai that I have a greater dislike for and like others here, my preference is a naturalistic style of bonsai.
I understand why the term cosmic is used but it is not a term I much care for.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am also considering making one with a Chinese elm. I half ass attempted one with a ficus that I may revisit. I absolutely do not like the action figures. But this is personal as I don't like any action figures, ever. I do like some bronze figures and occasionally mudmen, so this might become part of my half assed plan.
I should add that there are also many Japanese bonsai that I have a greater dislike for and like others here, my preference is a naturalistic style of bonsai.
I understand why the term cosmic is used but it is not a term I much care for.
I've a WWIll robot intend to use for photo shoots. Its a newer model. The original ones are said they smell mechanical like from paints used. Though I'm half tempted to get one. I don't need my lungs tanking. So I bought one Mike Lane had also gotten that had no odor... I need to get with the one making me a floating stand to hold the moon shaped pot. Rusty ... floating stand to hold the moon. Neagari cascade cosmic Style it will hold 😎... Biting at the bit.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Do a search on Octopus and Takazukuri style bonsai. You'll come up with a few images. If you look through older bonsai books, there are drawings from the Meiji-early Showa eras in a few. Some forms are more exaggerated than others.
Thank you

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

This... doesn't really give any good results at all. In @cishepard's thread on Cosmic Bonsai, you called it repackaged octopus style and then linked to Tony Tickle's review which didn't discuss octopus style or takozukuri at all

Google also doesn't really have good results. This BCI page isn't descriptive of the style, and links to this tree profile, which doesn't discuss styling. Bonsaigers describes it as "when long thick branches starts from a short main trunk", i.e. oak style. Bonsai Society of Greater Cincinatti gets the closest to what you describe. The other search results of "octopus style bonsai" I saw are using octopus as description instead of nomenclature. Look through older books that have illustrations of Meiji-era bonsai is not helpful to understanding more about this. Got any better links or images that you can show us?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am not into arguments, particularly when they involve semantics. I think the tree in the link of the original post is very interesting. I would like to be able to develop one like that.

Top Bottom