Crassula Ovata (Jade) #1

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Picked up these cuttings at Home Depot while looking for trim for the spice rack I built my wife. As a thank you, she hid them from me for 3hrs because I have too many plants.

20191113_212242.jpg

When I found them hidden behind another plant in the bedroom, I smuggled them downstairs so I could repot them into a better substrate for the winter.

I raked out the mess of soil they were in and picked them apart to find four plants with somewhat radial root planes.

20191113_212630.jpg
20191113_212954.jpg

I decided this one was my favorite from the bunch at the moment...

20191113_214138.jpg

I started preparing a pot but realized I had my drainage screen in the shed so improvised by notching the lid to a container I found in the basement to act as a cover.

20191113_214533.jpg
20191113_214545.jpg

I used some of the soil from the original pot but added a bit of 8822 for airation and water retention. I like how quickly it dries for my succulents because I can water them more without worrying about root rot.

20191113_214920.jpg

I also potted the others into spare pots. Now I have four of these things! I lightly watered after planting to settle them in the pot. Will leave em for a couple weeks unwatered now.

20191113_220657.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's fun to take cuttings from Crassula, even one leaf left on the soil of a pot will root, like this one made years ago. I moved it inside a couple of days ago because the temps here went down to 1.5°C (33.8F).

I might remove the small branch on the right and plant it again slightly moved to the right :

crassula01_191113a.jpg

Next time you go to a garden center, just take a leaf or two from any Crassula species, let it dry for 24hrs (or more), then put in in a pot, there's a 99% chance it will root. I have others, like 'Hobbit', or 'Compacta' (very small leaves).

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Talking about cuttings, I had these Crassula ovata, 'Hobbit' that needed repotting. My son had already sold some for pocket money at his school, we had so many :rolleyes:

November 2018 :

crassula-hobbit_multi_181108a.jpg

To save space, I decided to tie them together (though it might take a long time for the trunks to fuse) because they're more "tree-like" like the plain species.

Today, Nov. 14th :

crassula-hobbit_multi_191114a.jpg

It's fun. It's fun...

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Alain, I was undecided between this crassula and the one with the tubular leaves. Ill pick a few leaves from that next time.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
the one with the tubular leaves

The one I got had no label, but it's either 'Hobbit' or 'Gollum'. Since I don't know, I chose 'Hobbit' 😄

There's a nursery that provides various succulents, here's the page for "Crassula" :

Cuttings from the wee one ('compacta'):

crassula-compacta_191114a.jpg

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
To save space, I decided to tie them together (though it might take a long time for the trunks to fuse) because they're more "tree-like" like the plain species.

Wait, what? Will C. ovata actually fuse (like a ficus will)?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The variegated plant here looks like a Portulaca. Hows this looking now?
Yep, it's a mixed bag of jade and p. afra in the big pot. Looks about the same, it's a pretty recent picture.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's incredible how resistant they are when placed in good condition (sun in summer, cool room in winter with as much light as possible).

I put these 1-yr-old cuttings in a small pot in July 2017 :

crassulaBt15_170717a.jpg

I've just taken them (it) inside because we'll have a short period of mild frost in a couple of days. I never changed the soil, I only add some akadama on the top soil to make it even. And yet, it seems it's happy this way ;)

crassulaBt15_191116a.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Me, too. This one is 10 years in the making. Chop, grow, chop, grow, etc. Their only saving grace is bulletproofness and this pot is under an inch deep. I could forgive them if they would flower, which takes forever. The pot is Dale Cochoy, 2009.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I could forgive them if they would flower, which takes forever.

From what I've seen, only big ones (over one foot) that haven't been pruned flower. A period of low temps, just above freezing seems to help too.

pauloe

Seed
Reaction score
Talking about cuttings, I had these Crassula ovata, 'Hobbit' that needed repotting. My son had already sold some for pocket money at his school, we had so many :rolleyes:

November 2018 :

View attachment 271098

Today, Nov. 14th :

View attachment 271099

It's fun. It's fun...

A little over one year, did the fusion work?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A period of low temps, just above freezing seems to help too.

I think this is the key.

They can take temps down into the high 30s F for a BRIEF period, as in a couple hours overnight.

I left mine out last year until every night was getting into the 30s before I brought it in, and then it flowered for weeks.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've always kept mine in below 48-50 F

That's about 9°C.

I leave mine outside down to 4°C (about 39F). They can even stand a few hours at -1,-2°C (30-28 F), though that's not recommended. But I forgot to put them inside a couple of times when there was a mild frost and they always survived. But flowering also depends on the ageof the tree, and probably the way it's fertilized.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jades are all alive and happy outside now. Looking forward to cutting them up later this summer haha.

20200527_195447.jpg

Top Bottom