Created My First Jin on Juniper Procumbens

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Looks great! Great to leave it as a bifurcation/fork as you've done here. Nice subtle movement too. My only criticism is that it's a wee bit horizontal, at least from the current pics. Not much to do about that anyways.

If the ends are thick enough you can also split them to mimic a branch twisting off etc. but these look too small to mess with at this point. The pointed ends are good.

On procumbens I never really bother with the torch unless there's a ton of fibers left. I find that fibers usually just scrape off with a fingernail if sap was flowing at the time of doing the jin.

Letting it dry out for a few days (or a week+ depending on climate) is a good next step for sure. Then, once its dry wet it with water prior to applying LS (I use a misting bottle). The LS penetrates much deeper when the jin is wet with water, vs just applying straight LS to the surface.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty good for a first try.
Just to clarify what Hendo said, wet the jin with water and then apply lime sulfur but use a small paint brush for the lime sulfer after you wet it with the mist/spray bottle

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks great! Great to leave it as a bifurcation/fork as you've done here. Nice subtle movement too. My only criticism is that it's a wee bit horizontal, at least from the current pics. Not much to do about that anyways.

If the ends are thick enough you can also split them to mimic a branch twisting off etc. but these look too small to mess with at this point. The pointed ends are good.

On procumbens I never really bother with the torch unless there's a ton of fibers left. I find that fibers usually just scrape off with a fingernail if sap was flowing at the time of doing the jin.

Letting it dry out for a few days (or a week+ depending on climate) is a good next step for sure. Then, once it’s dry wet it with water prior to applying LS (I use a misting bottle). The LS penetrates much deeper when the jin is wet with water, vs just applying straight LS to the surface.
Much appreciated! I’ll follow your advice

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pretty good for a first try.
Just to clarify what Hendo said, wet the jin with water and then apply lime sulfur but use a small paint brush for the lime sulfer after you wet it with the mist/spray bottle
Thank you and will do 🍻

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If the wood is green you can wire for direction and movement before it dries out. Then you can lime sulphur after. if you are worried about wire marks you can wrap the wire.
In the future it will pay to consider wiring the jin for movement prior to jinning!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If the wood is green you can wire for direction and movement before it dries out. Then you can lime sulphur after. if you are worried about wire marks you can wrap the wire.
In the future it will pay to consider wiring the jin for movement prior to jinning!
I understand now!

Top Bottom