• 3. grey brown with straight sides

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Smoke, so I've thought a lot about your rant a while back;), and my first thought was, "this guy needs a vacation!", but then my next thought was, "he's right though, I should do more research!" and I accept your urging to try to do more teaching myself instead of just being a consumer.

And I have also thought a lot about your comment that it's not time to pick a pot yet. That comment had me thinking that I don't need to settle on the perfect pot just yet, but since it is time to repot next Spring, I want to have something ready.

So to sum up, I have done a bit more research, especially at your suggestion @rockm to look at more of Walter Pall's trees. One thing I've noticed about WP, is that he tries out different pots until he settles on the right one. Many times he ends up using a natural rock slab, but he may try out a round drum, and then a rectangle before finally finding a nice rock slab. In that spirit, and since the Chinese pots are so inexpensive, I've decided to purchase one of those. Below you can see my tree, followed by two others that look very similar. Of course they are more refined and narrow, but still very much in the same style as my tree with the ten jin and the sparse drooping branches.
20170914_230556 copy.jpgtree1.pngtree2.png
Regarding round pots, I found that WP tends to use these on trees that have a lot more movement in the trunks (see below). And the feeling I get looking at a tree in a rectangular pot, is groundedness, stability and strength - characteristics I see in my tree, given its wide nebari and thick straight trunk.
tree10.png tree9.png tree13.png
It's true that some tall narrow trees are seen in round pots like this one, however its just not the look I'm going for:
7.jpg
So, in the end, I went with the majority and purchased #3 - because I like it, because the size is just about perfect for the amount of root reduction I feel safe doing, and of course, the majority here seemed to like it. Thanks everyone for weighing in!

Top Bottom