Curve and color of seedling

Sven3B

Seed
Reaction score
This is my first attempt to do a bonsai tree from seed, and I don't know much about what the seedling is supposed to look like. This is a Scots pine. It germinated about 2-3 weeks ago.

As you can see, it has a fairly significant curve in the stem - will that straighten out as it grows and lignifies?

Also, the lower half of the stem is a bit yellow - looking online it would seem pine seedlings aren't necessarily green-stemmed for long, but I tend to associate yellowing with a problem. Is it okay, or does it need more water or light?

Thanks for helping out a beginner!
PXL_20210426_183213957.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The color is normal. Whether it will straighten out, depends on the light. Do you have it outside in full sun?

Sven3B

Seed
Reaction score
I don't have it outside in full sun yet. Most days I try to put it out there for a couple hours; I've been concerned about it getting eaten.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It looks good and healthy to me. Mine improved when I put them outside to get more sun. The curve is nothing to worry about.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Put it outside. If it stays curvy, all the better!! Everyone wants curvy trunks on their trees!.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need of good sunlight is paramount. Who actually WANTS straight trunk on tree? Make wire cage over tree and get outdoors ASAP;). Beware of damp off. Do not let soil be WET. only damp. Open air helps prevent this.

Sven3B

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

Point taken on a curve being good; I was concerned it was too much too soon and indicative of it being unhealthy.

Top Bottom