Cut where? Pinch the what? .....?

Reaction score
I know these are probably ridiculous questions that only require some green thumb common sense but... after doing many google searches and read a couple books I am still left with some very basic questions. I read thingss that say "cut new shoots back etc," and "pinch back new growth etc," and I am left wondering things like where exactly should I cut and howfar back do you pinch, is this even a new shoot, what is the purpose for cutting and pinching other than styling, etc? I have 2 pre bonsai azaleas and a little 8 inch dwarf alberta white spruce that I'm not reading very many good things about. Anybody know of any good videos or places with very detailed information along with pictures on these particular trees that I could review? I have always greatly admired and enjoyed the art of bonsai but I have very very little knowledge of anything "green" and just decided to attempt to undertake doing bonsai myself. I'm sure that's hard to tell but... : ) unfortunately there are no bonsai clubs or stores or nursuries around my area (waynesboro,VA). I am all alone. Thank goodness for internet and UPS! by the way, I posted a thread in the flowering trees section called "in need of assurance" if anyone cares to view and provide me with some assurance. : )

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not saying this in a mean way, but if you can't tell new growth (this years growth) from old growth you are going to have your hands full. That being said you might not have any new growth from this year showing yet. New growth is at the tip or end the branches. It will be off colored (in your case lighter green) then the rest of the leaves and the woody part of the branch will be tender.

As for your spruce.... People that have been doing this for many many years can even have trouble with them and that's if they even bother with using one. They look like they would be a great candidate for bonsai and are very hardy but this is not the case.

I would recommend buying a few beginner bonsai books. Check Amazon. I just ordered Bonsai 101 as a present for a friend. Cost me 99 cents plus shipping. Also (I know people might disagree with me here lol) get a ficus bonsai from one of your local big box stores such as Lowes or Home Depot. Should be less then $20 and you can learn a lot from them. Very forgiving and fast growing. Or try a local nursery. I am in the same boat as you. I have nothing bonsai related in my area. I got started by doing research first before I bought anything though. My first buy was a group planting of Benjamina Ficus in a 6 inch pot. There were 6-8 in the pot each about the thickness of a marker. I divided them and put in seperate pots. Cost me $10 (plus pots) and I had 8 new trees to play with.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am sorry to disappoint you but there are many answers to your question. This is complicated by what you want to do/accomplish, what stage your plant is, what type of plant you have, your location, etc. I am one of the few who goes against the current here so please note that while reading my advise. I am also a newbie who is only doing this for 7 months.

The length again depends on what you are trying to create. It all depends on the size of your final tree and where you are in the development. Main branches are longer than secondary or tertiary so there is no fast answer there. You have to envision the final design then take it from there. Common mistake is to cut back to almost the final shape...it will throw everything off once the ramification is done. Cut back harder and know that the tree will look weird now but will be good once it fills in.

Cutting, pruning, and pinching are basically the same...pinching just happens to be done on new growth that you can cut them with your fingers/fingernails.

Most will advise you that to get the branch thickness you need fast, you have to let the branch grow wild without cutting. It works and a very good way but I don't believe the best way. I do the opposite and pinch right away to start having multiple branches, introduce movement and character right away. I then use the extra branches as "sacrificial branches" to help build the thickness and taper. This is my way and I believe it is working.

Yes, bonsai is not a sprint...it is a marathon...but I still want to finish as fast as I can.

That is my belief but take it with a grain of salt. Good luck!!!

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
check out you-tube....... orlandobonsaitv has some great videos

evolve

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Keep immersing yourself in everything horticulture and bonsai, the pieces will come together in time. Here's a pile of links that may prove useful, if you haven't already come across them:

http://evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm
http://bonsainurseryman.typepad.com/
http://www.bonsai4me.com/
http://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/
http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/
http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/bonsai_tree_care_information.php
http://www.youtube.com/user/bjorvalabonsai
http://www.youtube.com/user/GrahamWPotter

Read every article, every post, and watch every video. Then do it all again. I've also found supplementing my knowledge with scientific papers on horticulture super helpful. There is a lot of fascinating information out there that will help you build a deep foundation in horticulture and understand why specific bonsai techniques are used and how they work to manipulate plant growth.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I can see the difference in new growth but I sometimes can't tell what exactly it is growning. Meaning will this be a flower or a branch or just a leaf, etc. As for the pruning, when they say cut back new growth do they mean all leave, buds, etc or what exactly is it that I should be cutting, you know? I guess my problem is I am an infant in horticulture and I need milk and baby steps, not solid foods : ) do you have any milky advice on how to handle azaleas? I'm aiming for a semi cascade style, ill try to post a picture soon.

Reaction score
I just tried uploading a picture and its not working for some reason. My only internet is on a smart phone so that might be the problem. Sorry.

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I think what works best for me is to remember that bonsai is not a race and to take your time with it. If you are not sure what the plant/tree is growing then maybe you need to slow down a bit more and watch your tree and learn from what it is doing. If you can't see what it is doing this year then watch it next year. Take your time and learn how the tree grows. See what happens when that new bud pops and then see what happens when that next bud pops. Let the tree teach you what it is doing.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea,I think when at a loss with what to do with a plant,you just combine the species list on the websites.I used to just google species guide.I loved Bonsai4me.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There is no broad brush that you can use with every subject you choose to use as a bonsai. Every species of tree has its own needs and requirements just to survive in a pot, let alone methods applied to get them to develop as a bonsai. Choose trees with similar needs and responses to bonsai techniques. Ficus trees for indoor bonsai, and Juipers for outdoors. Learn these trees before being tempted to go into Maples, Pines, and trees that no one else has had favorable experiences with. JMHO and meger experience.

Top Bottom