Cuttings

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've recently chopped down a 5ft maple and just for the sake of not throwing them, i've potted four larger branches, scored and applied rooting hormone.. Kept indoors and now the buds are breaking. Can the new roots (if there are any) even support this?

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on the quantity of roots compared to the number of leaves as well as temperature and humidity.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
do cuttings push buds with no roots? (edit: no leaves winter cuttings)
Yes: leaves can open and stay for weeks or even months, then die because there are no roots.
What he said. Personally, I'd have these outside and in the shade.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've just only had one cutting out of about 100 make it. So those odds seem about right.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Victorim, how are the cutttings?

i tent my cuttings by placing the pot in a clear or opaque 7-gal or 10-gal size plastic bag & tie up the top. i watch the angle of the sun week by week to ensure i don't inadvertently create an oven via direct sun exposure (morning sun is okay).

currently have shaina cuttings that i'm just propagating for fun (discarded cuttings from bonsai class). overall, my success rate with japanese maples is low. i've often heard that they're challenging to propagate via cuttings - - just weak genetics for the most part, i think. i generally use sifted 1/16"-1/8" straight pumice.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They didn't take.. might have been different with better prep, and a better rooting hormone (the cheepy one i picked up a while ago is just an organic seaweed extract job). Was only an after thought really.

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I've got about 20 cuttings of various thickness from a Little Princess. I've just got them sat in a couple of glasses of steeped willow water which is a natural rooting hormone. So far they've all budded out and have some nice leaves, so now it's a waiting game to see if anything happens at the other end! I'm interested to see if this is any more successful than the usual cuttings in substrate method which I've struggled with on maples.
IMG_20170324_214305107.jpg

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I doubt they will root,try smaller maple cuttings off of wood that has just hardened off in straight perlite.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There is absolutely no chance at all that they root: they will push out new leaves, but the base will just rot.

Winter cuttings are much more difficult to make than summer cuttings, but some can be succesful if planted in the right mix (akadama, or perlite+compost for instance)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This book explains propagation really well: https://www.amazon.com/Reference-Manual-Woody-Plant-Propagation/dp/1604690046

Successful maples cuttings require rooting hormone at a strength of 1–2 percent NAA or IBA. People have more success with softwood cuttings from this year’s new growths (as opposed to last year’s hardwood). Most commercial mixes are 0.1 percent. I am not sure how to evaluate willow water :)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Willow water is actually a soup of auxin.

If you cut them into pieces as I think I read somewhere, no good. Just cut branches and put them in a bucket. After 2-3 weeks, roots wil have formed, and the water is somewhat - how shall I put it, "greasy" when you rub your fingers. It's ready to use.

I use rooting hormones ;), "Chyzotop vert", "0,25 % acide béta-indole butyrique"...

Top Bottom