DAS double or single flush?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey everyone. I've had this little guy for a couple years. In previous years, I used to pinch the shoots in spring to foece a seco d flush and get more ramification. @Adair M suggested that doing so mighy weaken the tree, and that I should instead let the shoots extend and then in August cut back to a bud. So I am trying this technique. One thing I am not happy about is how much the shoots have elongated. That might be due to excess fertilizer, I don't know. the other thinh I noticed is that, before I could prune them back, the terminal buds started producing a second flush. We are still in the low-mid 90s here. Is this an anomaly or is DAS a two-flush tree? Should I prune to a bud now? should I done it earlier? should I wait until this new growth harden? Thanks!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A lot of spruce will have a second flush of growth.

On this year’s growth, you should be able to see where there are buds, in addition to the terminal bud. For those shoots that grew too long, cut off the excess, right at one of those buds. That bud will be next year’s terminal bud where most of the growth will be.

I can see lots of possibilities in your photo.

I know that many people will say to pinch spring shoots “to promote backbudding”. But, here’s the thing... you don’t have to pinch to promote back buds, they do it on their own! Let the back buds form, then cut back to them.

Allowing the spring shoots to grow out encourages root growth which makes the tree strong. Pinching interrupts the auxin production, and auxin promotes root growth. So pinching spring growth hurts the roots.

Therefore, I prefer not to pinch spring growth, then cut back to new buds in summer.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
t
A lot of spruce will have a second flush of growth.

On this year’s growth, you should be able to see where there are buds, in addition to the terminal bud. For those shoots that grew too long, cut off the excess, right at one of those buds. That bud will be next year’s terminal bud where most of the growth will be.

I can see lots of possibilities in your photo.

I know that many people will say to pinch spring shoots “to promote backbudding”. But, here’s the thing... you don’t have to pinch to promote back buds, they do it on their own! Let the back buds form, then cut back to them.

Allowing the spring shoots to grow out encourages root growth which makes the tree strong. Pinching interrupts the auxin production, and auxin promotes root growth. So pinching spring growth hurts the roots.

Therefore, I prefer not to pinch spring growth, then cut back to new buds in summer.
Thanks, @Adair M . That is what i am trying to do this year. there are manh buds down the shoots in most of them. I will also remove some shoots completely, as it is very congested in areas. One question, should I cut back now or wait until later on in the season?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It’s actually vascular traffic that generates back buds, so leaving growth on results in more back budding. Pinching is a refinement technique to stimulate existing back buds to open. Do your shoot selection in early fall, cutting back to a bud, as Adair said. You can also set structure. Next spring, get it in a bonsai pot as buds are swelling and don’t do any other major work.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s actually vascular traffic that generates back buds, so leaving growth on results in more back budding. Pinching is a refinement technique to stimulate existing back buds to open. Do your shoot selection in early fall, cutting back to a bud, as Adair said. You can also set structure. Next spring, get it in a bonsai pot as buds are swelling and don’t do any other major work.
Thank you @PiñonJ . As this tree is still in development, I am in no hurry to put it in a bonsai pot. I will select the shoots and prune this Fall, and in Winter I will rewire it, as the current wire is biting buy the main branches have not yet set in position. When it is a bit more set in its final structure, I will take a few years to reduce the rootball to fit it in an appropriate container.

Top Bottom