Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it a perfect circle? Then round

If not then oval

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
It's a round pot with an incurved rim and cloud feet.
As Sorce says styles that narrow at the top are sometimes described as 'bag' pots.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you all.

Broke after winter!

It's funny you should say this. After giving it some thought last night, @sorce I think your unique style and vision of a pot in this style could be a perfect fit for one of my maples. I running off to work right now but I'm going to send you a PM later and we can talk. :)

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you all.

It's funny you should say this. After giving it some thought last night, @sorce I think your unique style and vision of a pot in this style could be a perfect fit for one of my maples. I running off to work right now but I'm going to send you a PM later and we can talk. :)

He meant the pot will be broken after winter, seems maybe you interpreted that a different way. Pots like this are fine for tropicals or if you live in Florida or something, or if you have the means to keep your trees close to freezing during the winter but not let them dip below 32 F. Basically if your soil is going to freeze at all, when it expands with the freezing moisture in your soil, that expanding soil has nowhere to go but to push on the walls of the pot. Hence a broken pot. A pot like this is guaranteed to break eventually if your soil is freezing in the winter.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He meant the pot will be broken after winter, seems maybe you interpreted that a different way. Pots like this are fine for tropicals or if you live in Florida or something, or if you have the means to keep your trees close to freezing during the winter but not let them dip below 32 F. Basically if your soil is going to freeze at all, when it expands with the freezing moisture in your soil, that expanding soil has nowhere to go but to push on the walls of the pot. Hence a broken pot. A pot like this is guaranteed to break eventually if your soil is freezing in the winter.

If you aren't pro-active with your repotting you run the risk of having to break the pot in order to get the tree out. I suppose freeze-expansion is a consideration but it has been a very long time since I've raised bonsai in that setting so I leave it to others to decide if that is a legit phenomena...

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you aren't pro-active with your repotting you run the risk of having to break the pot in order to get the tree out. I suppose freeze-expansion is a consideration but it has been a very long time since I've raised bonsai in that setting so I leave it to others to decide if that is a legit phenomena...
Yea on top of the freeze thaw thing they’re also just a pain in the ass. But they look so good!

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey, here’s a thread from Jeremy Norbury showing exactly what I was talking about:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you can build or throw a pot like that that will survive winter.

A slip cast pot like that won't have what it takes.

Pure 8822 will never break a pot.....
Prove me wrong!

If one wishes to not freeze break a pot like this. DE is highly recommended. See for yourself.

Sorce

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I get this. That is one of the reason I think @sorce is up to the task. Its not the pot itself I want. It's what it does so well. It pulls off that 'hilltop tree' so perfect. I have faith that he can pull off that look in his own design that maybe wouldnt mind some cold nights.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting, never seen the term "bag" used in reference to pots before
Most of them have this type of inset band going on at the rim, but the shape is about the same. They can be problematic should your tree become pot bound as it's hard to get the rootball past that inset.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you can build or throw a pot like that that will survive winter.

A slip cast pot like that won't have what it takes.

Pure 8822 will never break a pot.....
Prove me wrong!

If one wishes to not freeze break a pot like this. DE is highly recommended. See for yourself.

Sorce
Agree (miracle!) if you are not using some mucky mix that holds a ton of water I don't see a well vitrified pot failing...

Also to answer another comment... purse aka "bag" pot.

Top Bottom