Depot Eastern Hemlock

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you should clean it up and get rid of those low branches you absolutely know isn't going to be part of the final tree. Then try and get a good quality picture with a clean background. This will help with future design planning. There are a lot of pictures in this thread but very low quality, Im guilty of this as well. As for the pot, dunno, how does the base look? maybe a big unglazed round...
Solid advice. I will take this to a workshop at some point to decide on the lower branches.. they could all go. It certainly would give a better idea of what I am working with. I may reduce them at some point before then too. I’ve let them run for the most part as of yet.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have some cool material, I would like to get a hemlock now that I’m in a colder climate, that and larch. Good on you for taking your time with it. I would of killed it by now!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How are your hemlocks doing .
Hanging in there. The Depot Hemlock always buds out much later than my collected hemlock, for whatever reason, but the buds are just swelling for the colected hemlock.
I’m planning to repot the collected hemlock into a Sara Rayner pot, probably next weekend.
I’d like to take this Depot Hemlock to a workshop sometime. I know I’m hanging on to a lot of branches that won’t have a part in the final design, but I also want to keep my options open, not really knowing what my target is.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a love hate relationship with eastern hemlock .i quit bonsai for 10 years . After my collected large one died . Had the makings of incredible tree . So I’m always interested I. Others work on them . Going to restart this spring . Obviously after my failure . I don’t know anything about them . Frustrating branches break off trunk easy and without warning . With good roots will grow in full sun fast . But best in some shade . Shallow root system in nature sounds great for bonsai . Needs aeration but likes . Organic mater and water . Responds well to long repots . So challenge is long term soil with organics they will heal wounds incredibly . Better faster than most dicid trees . Far better than any conifer . Rare as bonsai but incredibly .as Dirr says I. His book . The best conifer in eastern North America . Incredible soft famine dark green foliage . Dark rough bark on aged trees Very long lived like I said love hate

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a love hate relationship with eastern hemlock .i quit bonsai for 10 years . After my collected large one died . Had the makings of incredible tree . So I’m always interested I. Others work on them . Going to restart this spring . Obviously after my failure . I don’t know anything about them . Frustrating branches break off trunk easy and without warning . With good roots will grow in full sun fast . But best in some shade . Shallow root system in nature sounds great for bonsai . Needs aeration but likes . Organic mater and water . Responds well to long repots . So challenge is long term soil with organics they will heal wounds incredibly . Better faster than most dicid trees . Far better than any conifer . Rare as bonsai but incredibly .as Dirr says I. His book . The best conifer in eastern North America . Incredible soft famine dark green foliage . Dark rough bark on aged trees Very long lived like I said love hate
How long in captivity until your collected one died? I have not witnessed many of the drawbacks, other then a failed airlayer. I have taken It pretty conservative with my two, since they are the only material I have. I tend towards clip and grow so no broken branches yet either.
I do as full sun as I can. And, 1/3’s APL (boonish), but with 5-10% vermi compost and spaghnum.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Posted the story here somewhere . Tree was large . 18 inches at base of trunk . More at nebari about 2 feet up split into 2 trunks and about 12 inches other about 8 old plated bark . Growing on top of flat granite slab . Above a beaver dam . Roots ran 10 feet over side to get to soil. Less than 6 inches under tree . Something fell and broke tree long ago . Spent 3 years adding soil and reducing roots . Collected planted in) 6 x6 foot 6 inch deep box . 4 year replanted 3x3 box 2 years latter attempt air layer in spring of largeest top trunk . Goal was formal upright from the layer . Windswept with the smaller bent trunk and original base . Tree just declined slowly that summer and died . No new buds I spring . Tree was old amazing nebari crazy old bark once in a lifetime find of a tree that is hard to find stunted. Broke my heart and interest in bonsai for 10 years got ride of everything restarted last year I had several other hemlocks thought I had a understanding of them like I said love hate

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nick Lenz once said you can only find . A good wild eastern hemlock . At midnight under a blue moon . When your not looking . Got to love his sense of humour . He also said he has only seen 3 quality bonsai from the species . But they were not good . They were amazing . A combo of aged old masculine trunk . And soft feminine foliage that no other tree can . Pull of with such grace

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did a little pre-growing season branch selection. I only removed a couple small lower branches that had growth pretty far away from the trunk. I have a hard time getting rid of lower branches, maybe because of the training to preserve inner lower growth. I did manage to reduce a couple long lower branches that also had inner growth.
The habit on this one is much more dense than my wild type. It has been a learning process on how to reduce the fans in a natural(istic?) manner.2E634676-1C57-4BC7-9810-EB305EB0D8D4.jpeg3A2ED83D-B2C5-4EAF-91D6-D6D22D7BAC23.jpeg63878420-5A03-4D92-AFD4-3803C2C2AF8E.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I give it as much sun as I can, which isn’t quite full Sun in my back yard.. maybe 10:30am-6pm.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There natural existence is in a forest with sugar maple . The 2 trees are apex trees . Both will germinate and grow in the dense shade there adults create . Hemlock is unique it’s growth can almost completely stop in full shade and still live . When it gets it’s chance for light it can grow fairly rapidly . The general belief is . Semi shade gets darkest foliage and better back budding Full sun grows faster and more wood growth . I know it sounds a little strange . My general opinion is sun for growth and prune for back budding . Refined tree probably best in semi shade . Just my thoughts

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My past with hemlock lead to there is a soil thing . They like loose soil with oxygen but they like organic matter and it’s not that they don’t like there roots disturbed but they respond well to long repots . In natures shallow root system in the organic matter in upper layer . I don’t have a answer tried multiple things and now that I restarted bonsai will again . That love hate thing . My next attempt will involve composted hemlock bark. It apparently lasts longer than pine . They really like composted sugar maple leaves but it don’t last

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My past with hemlock lead to there is a soil thing . They like loose soil with oxygen but they like organic matter and it’s not that they don’t like there roots disturbed but they respond well to long repots . In natures shallow root system in the organic matter in upper layer . I don’t have a answer tried multiple things and now that I restarted bonsai will again . That love hate thing . My next attempt will involve composted hemlock bark. It apparently lasts longer than pine . They really like composted sugar maple leaves but it don’t last
I’ve had good luck with a “boonish” mix of 1/3’s akadama, pumice and lava scoria, amended with ~5%+5% long spaghnum and compost (from the compost bin, preferably dried and sifted into black chunks). I think you will find that something similar will give you the loose yet organic characteristics that you are after for Tsuga. Using this type of soil mine haven’t been skipping a beat after repotting. I also use multiple high nitrogen Agriform fertilizer tabs replaced throughout the growing season, which have done a great job of driving vigor in development. They are likely a bit too much for refinement, but I haven’t quite gotten to that stage yet.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One other detail, I like to “mulch” any trimmings from the Tsuga around the surface of the pot. I don’t know if it is more of a salt over the shoulder thing for good luck, or if it may increase the acididty in the soil. But, like you I do like to mimic the natural environment, and they do seem to thrive in their own forest duft.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One other detail, I like to “mulch” any trimmings from the Tsuga around the surface of the pot. I don’t know if it is more of a salt over the shoulder thing for good luck, or if it may increase the acididty in the soil. But, like you I do like to mimic the natural environment, and they do seem to thrive in their own forest duft.
I have tried very similar stuff never akadama The hemlock bark idea is A I may be able to get some from sawmill and B it is longer lasting then pine if what your doing is working g don’t stop a lot have failed with bonsai soil . I lost a great collected tree but I don’t think it was soil I think when you get to refinement they will benefit from long lasting soil one thing to consider but what your doing sounds great

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m really liking how this one is coming along. It is showing a lot of vigor. I’m in no rush to get it into a pot, but I think it could handle it pretty well. For now it is bringing in the growth and picking the design.4CCD21D0-24AF-45E6-AFE7-09CD4997E5F6.jpeg1995D8BB-A914-4095-A1B5-94136F2E56A1.jpeg

Top Bottom