Deshojo Seeds

trlobid

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am new in bonsai and I've been looking fo deshojo seed to buy. I am from Turkey and usually interenet seller do not ship to my country. I will be really happy If anyone show me any source.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would be the best way. When you get seeds you don't know what kind of maple pollinated it so you don't know for sure what cultivar it is or a cross between the 2.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would be the best way. When you get seeds you don't know what kind of maple pollinated it so you don't know for sure what cultivar it is or a cross between the 2.
I would say it is the oly way. Seed by definition are not the same as the parent plant. You need cutting-propagated plants to get a deshojo

Kizerk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do I have to buy cutings or plant?
Japanese maples as a species do not grow true to seed. So any named cultivars need to either be cutting grown (not often done because of their generally week roots) or grafted.

Anyone who claims to have seeds of a named cultivar is lying and scamming those who do not know better.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Japanese maples as a species do not grow true to seed.
Well.. Japanese maple as a species grow true to seed. :)

It is the named cultivars that cannot be re-grown from seed (In fact, for any other species it is doubtfull the cultival remains the cultivar when propagated from seed).

Kizerk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@leatherback you are too right I did generalize maybe a bit too much.
It's normally easier to say that they don't grow true to seed at all because a large majority of Japanese maples at least in the US are some verity of cultivar.

Top Bottom