Did someone ask if Mulberries Make Good Bonsai?

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Damn I love anthropomorphism! I see an old woman, wide in the hips and wearing a too-short skirt that may have been appropriate at one time, brought down to one knee under the weight of the huge load of berries she is trying to carry home.

I like any tree that makes me think of a human figure. This is lovely. I particularly like the range of shades of red in the berries. Perhaps removing a few berries would improve it. Perhaps not.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I started my very first attempt at air layering with this volunteer mulberry tree in the back yard today. I lopped off some big branches last year, but left several side branches so it still has plenty of foliage. The tree has to come out anyway since it’s growing underneath a much larger tree.

Wish me luck!
View attachment 189760
Update on the air layer in progress. I can’t tell what sort of root growth I’m getting without removing the aluminum foil (which is taped on there securely, so I don’t want to do that yet). However, if the root growth matches the new branch growth, I will be very pleased.
36A10989-9F9B-4262-A822-4C66557BC4B2.jpeg

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I collected one white mulberry from my backyard this year. Got a big one about 10 years old an since it started fruting there's a few babies growing up every year. It's not much trunk wise an maybe 5 years old but the leaves are pretty small. I'm going for formal maybe informal upright. Idk if it's male or female yet so maybe no fruit but I'm trying cuttings from the large one and maybe an air layer eventually. It's about 20 inches tall and THE TRUNKS 1/2 INCH or 1mm thick

Attachments

• 53c5962c6f62074-a-nw-p.jpg
    53c5962c6f62074-a-nw-p.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 51
  • b274dde7857d5b4-a-nw-p.jpg
    b274dde7857d5b4-a-nw-p.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 56

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update on the air layer in progress. I can’t tell what sort of root growth I’m getting without removing the aluminum foil (which is taped on there securely, so I don’t want to do that yet). However, if the root growth matches the new branch growth, I will be very pleased.
View attachment 195050
Curious about how the mulberry air layer did?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Curious about how the mulberry air layer did?
I don’t know yet. All my trees are still in their winter home along the north side of the house. It’s still a bit too early for me to start pulling trees out of the mulch and putting them up on the benches. I’m expecting we may still get another cold spell before spring is here to stay.

arreaux

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Well I don't feel so bad. This Mulberry was a growing like a weed on the side of the house and I would just cut it back, not really expecting it to be much. .
This spring I decided to put it in a pot and see where it goes. Messy trees.
A little update on the Mulberry.

Attachments

• 20230428_172040_resized.jpg
    20230428_172040_resized.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
I have this for maybe 5 years. I bought it as a semidevelioed bonsai but which I cut back aggressively to the trunk for rebuilding most branches. I have a post about here in the forum.

It was already fruiting when I got so I cannot answer that for you.

Top Bottom