Did you kill your first tree? How?

green_emi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Did you ever read “Of Mice and Men”...?

Do you remember what Lennie did to his puppy?

No? Google It.

I was the Lennie Smalls of Bonsai for longer than I’d like to admit. ????
Lol ive also killed plants with love! It was a hard leason to learn

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would venture to say that 99.9% of us killed our first trees. It's part of the learning curve; learning through failure. Despite taking all of our best advice, it will still probably die. Don't worry, it's not your mother. Just try to learn from your failures and move on.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What did you start doing differently after number 14?

Most of them were nursery stock that I loved to death.

Some were collected plants that were alive but I later realized had no potential (I trashed them, they were clones anyway).

About 7 were amazing collected kurume azaleas with 4” trunks. I believe I killed every single one by barerooting them like you would a deciduous tree.

One was a really great azalea (the only one that was technically a bonsai to be honest) that died because I left it in the care of my neighbor while I went on vacation. NEVER DO THIS. I’ve managed to make this mistake twice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A little over a year in I still have my first tree, a juniper. I killed my second through fourth trees pretty quickly though.

green_emi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would venture to say that 99.9% of us killed our first trees. It's part of the learning curve; learning through failure. Despite taking all of our best advice, it will still probably die. Don't worry, it's not your mother. Just try to learn from your failures and move on.
I'm not really worried, maybe a litle stir-crazy waiting for spring for my first styling and repot :) I'm just trying to see what were the most common beginner mistakes, it seems it's mostly around watering and not stressing the tree at the wrong time. I think it's realy cool if someone still has their first tree and I'd love to see pictures!

green_emi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Most of them were nursery stock that I loved to death.

Some were collected plants that were alive but I later realized had no potential (I trashed them, they were clones anyway).

About 7 were amazing collected kurume azaleas with 4” trunks. I believe I killed every single one by barerooting them like you would a deciduous tree.

One was a really great azalea (the only one that was technically a bonsai to be honest) that died because I left it in the care of my neighbor while I went on vacation. NEVER DO THIS. I’ve managed to make this mistake twice.
Unfortunately sometimes there's no other choice than to trust someone to care for the tree

Bonsai fool

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Can’t remember what it was, I killed the first few ....too much root pruning .

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Been in the hobb 1.5 years. I still have my first tree an American Larch prebonsai i bought from a local Bonsai nursery. I have repotted this past spring into a pond basket. It is growing well my plan is to airlayer off top once I get the girth I want. I have acquired quite a few other trees since then (most raw stock I am growing out). No deaths yet (maybe I am not trying hard enough :) )
Following this forum a big mistake beginners seem to make is just getting one tree and wanting to do too much to it. They want to trim, wire, and repot as soon as they get their tree. Many seem to do drastic work on sick/weak trees. These are usually dead once they seek advice here.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So it confession time!!! I murdered my second tree, a Juniper horizontalis, a sort of suburbandori. It was actually only my second collection.
It had a beautiful hand-made box and nice expensive soil. I gave it a vacation in that nice box for two years... Never missed a watering or a juniper dry day.
I guess it didn't like me.
Tell me, did I really murder it? Or, did it miss the earth so much it became suicidal?

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've only been in the hobby about a year's time and haven't killed any trees yet, but if I was asked again in a decade, my kill list will probobly have become lengthy :p

green_emi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So it confession time!!! I murdered my second tree, a Juniper horizontalis, a sort of suburbandori. It was actually only my second collection.
It had a beautiful hand-made box and nice expensive soil. I gave it a vacation in that nice box for two years... Never missed a watering or a juniper dry day.
I guess it didn't like me.
Tell me, did I really murder it? Or, did it miss the earth so much it became suicidal?
Been in the hobb 1.5 years. I still have my first tree an American Larch prebonsai i bought from a local Bonsai nursery. I have repotted this past spring into a pond basket. It is growing well my plan is to airlayer off top once I get the girth I want. I have acquired quite a few other trees since then (most raw stock I am growing out). No deaths yet (maybe I am not trying hard enough :) )
Following this forum a big mistake beginners seem to make is just getting one tree and wanting to do too much to it. They want to trim, wire, and repot as soon as they get their tree. Many seem to do drastic work on sick/weak trees. These are usually dead once they seek advice here.
I understand the feeling! I have my first tree and its very very very hard to have to wait until spring

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My first tree was a Fukien tea, lived about a year and died. Mainly because I tried to keep it inside all the time. Well, that plus I have since came to the conclusion that all Fukien tea trees are suicidal. They will just up and die when the mood strikes them it seems :confused:

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
First tree was a wild sourced norway maple. Dug while there was still snow on the ground, still alive and still doing good. Not a pretty tree but I'm working on it.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Started last year, My first was either a s shaped serissa or many Willow cuttings. One Willow cutting survived an the serissa started dropping leaves the second I brought it home so exchanged it an the new one did the same before eventually dieing. Now I have plenty of seedlings, and some native yamadori from my back yard. Serissa are fussy and I was a novice plus they were greenhouse grown and I didn't have a greenhouse. Now I'm learning to develop and keep alive my seedlings before I try anything more advanced.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
It was a beech from Lone Pine Garden in Sebastopol CA. Gave it to a friend and a squirrel knocked it off the shelf into Sonoma Creek in Glen Ellen, CA.

green_emi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
First tree was a wild sourced norway maple. Dug while there was still snow on the ground, still alive and still doing good. Not a pretty tree but I'm working on it.
That's great that you still have your first!
Someone once said: there are no ugly trees, just trees that need more work

Top Bottom