Did you kill your first tree? How?

stevek

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ooooohhhh my first tree lasted about a week, or two. I took a garden juniper in a 3 gallon pot, and sawed off 90% of the roots out of season. I joined Deep Cut Bonsai Society, and never looked back!
it must have been the other members that helped you, cause ya couldn't learn anything listening to me. :) steve.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am the only person I know who still has their original tree.... not much to look at Yamadori Chinese Juniper..... its survival through my idiotic mistakes is a testiment to its own insane genetics rather than any skill on my part.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Over the years I've killed more trees than I can count and have left many great trees in the houses I've left. Since I just got started into bonsai I've yet to kill one unless you count the frost bitten rainbow eucalyptus that I dug up and potted in my attempt to save it. OTOH, I've yet to have a true bonsai tree so I'm a Oh for Oh. My pre-bonsai trees all live now but who knows what they will do when I put any of them in true bonsai pot.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Nope and don't plan on it! It's the only tree with a name. It's the 1st tree I posted about here

Screenshot_20180719-160154_Chrome.jpg

And two months ago:

20180719_154959.jpg

20180805_212805.jpg

And when I repotted about a month ago!

20180826_160926.jpg

It only cost me $25 as a "pre-bonsai", but it's my most expensive tree. My daughter loves it lol must not die ever!!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't remember how I killed my first tree but I remember how I killed my first collected tree. It was way too loose in the pot. Now I tie the collected trees down like a mad man.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Not my first project, but the first one I really cared about. I picked up a small, collected Utah juniper at our local club's spring show. Really neat, maybe 35-year-old tree. It doesn't get too cold where I live, but first I thought it froze on too many consecutive nights. Then I convinced myself that the soil was too compacted -- not a big deal because it would have needed minimal water in the winter, anyway. Then I tried repotting it in late-January. Then it was dead for sure. I still have it so I can shame myself daily.

Top Bottom