Difference Between Amur and Trident/Japanese?

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can someone explain some of the key differences (if any)? Amur doesn't seem as popular as Trident or Japanese so I'm trying to figure if there's a reason behind that. Thanks! :)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can someone explain some of the key differences (if any)? Amur doesn't seem as popular as Trident or Japanese so I'm trying to figure if there's a reason behind that. Thanks! :)

Amur's lack of popularity most likely has to do with internode length and management .... I don't personally find them hard to manage however I do find it harder than say Trident to get decent back budding however not impossible.

Amur's are more cold hardy than trident and produce a reliable red fall show each year. Their internodes can get leggy and some people claim they suffer from random dieback (this may be true in colder climates) .... in many places I do not believe they receive the required length of dormancy and this may possibly weaken them. Techniques for growing them are not widely spread and as far as I can tell they have long been used just not as widely.

Superior traits :
Their color is consistent year after year ... if anything it only gets better
Their trunks age with great bumps and gnarled rugged bark.... similar to old collected hornbeams
Leaf reduction is easy and as strong growers a healthy tree can be defoliated several times a year (don't do this unless you are confident)

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Technically, Amur (Acer ginnala) is a completely seperate species than Trident (Acer Buergerianum). The two come from pretty different places. Amur is native to extremely cold areas of China (Manchuria) and Northeastern Asia (Siberia). It's immensely more cold hardy than Trident (hardy to USDA Zone 2 (lowest temps down to -40 F), so it's a better choice for cold areas.

Trident maple is native to warmer regions in Asia, mostly eastern China and can range into subtropical areas.

If you live in an area that gets below 20 F regularly in the winter, you may have trouble with tridents, as their roots can die off in repeated deep freezes.

I can second the opinion that Amur is a bit more difficult to work with, mostly because they tend to grow in angles--branches tend to grow vigorously in straight lines, requiring sometimes intense chops, which can lead to dieback, sometimes extensive. They quickly recover, however and push thick callus over wounds in a season.

I've had Amur for almost two decades now and love them, but they're also a pain. They are the first trees that begin growing in the spring (early Feb. in my area) which means they have to be protected from late frost and freezing once leaves are open. However, they don't require any winter protection in my area (Zone 7).

I've found that tridents are more responsive to hard pruning and other traditional bonsai techniques. They are also more graceful in appearance.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know this is a crazy old thread, but its also a super useful one and was exactly what i was about to ask, so I figure its better for the forum to have fewer more informative threads than a 1000 micro ones that repeat each other.

Can folks confirm that these are the leaves of an Amur Maple and not something else? I have had the hefty nursery pot plant in my "yet to be dealt with" pile for the last two years. Looking to pin down the ID before I make too many decisions about it

IMG_7113.jpg

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
thanks, its on the docket to get tortured this year, now i know what to call it at its funeral.
I've got one growing in the ground now for several years that I plan on lifting this coming spring and doing some root work on. I'm excited because the trunk has really come along nicely. They are quite tough trees so hopefully you won't need to plan funeral arrangements LOL.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh i never “plan” funeral arraignments, I just wing it because by that time I resent the tree or am drunk with self loathing and blame the tree out of spite.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My GARAGE was 5 degrees for days last winter. My amur sit unprotected besides that. Everything else I need to heel in the ground

Top Bottom