DirkvanDreven 6 year JBP from seed contest

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Glad to see you have a couple survivors left :)
out of 45 cuttings i took i have 40 left that rooted and are actively growing

About the comments above regarding the humidity it might be because of the "greenhouse tray" i used that raised my succes rate ?

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Glad to see you have a couple survivors left :)
out of 45 cuttings i took i have 40 left that rooted and are actively growing

About the comments above regarding the humidity it might be because of the "greenhouse tray" i used that raised my succes rate ?
I think a combination of causes. Not enough protection against drought and sun might indeed have been most important.
Your results, 40 growing seedlings out of 45, is great!

Reaction score
What's the story on Tibolar? I heard they wanted to ban it from stores because it contained asian chicken manure (bird flue issues). I still have about 6kg or so in my basement.
I heard his business isn't going well. If those things you heard are true, i really understand why. 20 euro for a kilo of chicken manure, thats way to much. (sick!!)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I heard his business isn't going well. If those things you heard are true, i really understand why. 20 euro for a kilo of chicken manure, thats way to much. (sick!!)

I heard from reliable sources that indeed the product got banned and that the maker is broke and has to shutdown his buisness
My teacher was using the tribolar rs with repotting he showed me the result of the mychorizza growth after the repot it kinda amazed me, still i didnt buy any nor used it myself

Reaction score
I heard from reliable sources that indeed the product got banned and that the maker is broke and has to shutdown his buisness
My teacher was using the tribolar rs with repotting he showed me the result of the mychorizza growth after the repot it kinda amazed me, still i didnt buy any nor
Shit, no more tibolar :mad::mad::mad:

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My seedlings woke up in my Poly tunnel and started to grow.11 of them alive and kicking!
Foto 15-03-19 19 40 22.jpeg
Because of strong winds my Poly tunnel was open and constant rain soaked my seedlings.Wich made repotting messy.
A few of the seedlings:
Foto 15-03-19 20 36 20.jpeg Foto 15-03-19 20 26 25.jpeg Foto 15-03-19 20 36 20.jpeg
I repotted most seedlings in taller plastic 4'' pots, in course Akadama, pumice and lava. With about half the seedlings I added some charcoal and pine bark.
Would be fun to see some differences in growth!
The potted seedlings

Attachments

• Foto 15-03-19 21 12 04.jpeg
    Foto 15-03-19 21 12 04.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 157

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Damn, looking good!
The wind blew away my little greenhouse last month, no damage but my seedlings haven't exploded like yours because they're outside.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Late summer update. About 8 seedlings of the 2018 batch left.
Most of them are now producing a second flush.
I ordered 'mikawa' seeds for the contest, had no earlier experience with these. Needles of these seedlings seem to be softer then what I'm used from other jbp seedlings.
Foto 10-08-19 18 50 03.jpg Foto 10-08-19 18 50 11.jpg

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I ordered 'mikawa' seeds for the contest, had no earlier experience with these. Needles of these seedlings seem to be softer then what I'm used from other jbp seedlings.

The pines you have left look nice and healthy. Just wondering if you noticed any differences in growth rates between the different soils?

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is some difference in growth between the seedlings, but most in appearance. The two seedlings in the pictures look a little different, but not size wise. Are in different soils though.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 257095 View attachment 257094
Not eight but ten seedlings alive and kicking! Eight of them somewhat neglected in my allotment garden. Neglect is good! It seems that not the type of soil (added charcoal and pinebark) but the size of the container has beneficial influence on the size of the seedlings.
it is therefore different again from what I previously wrote on this forum.
Seems there''s nothing simple in growing pines. Except neglect....

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Still a couple of seedlings alive and kicking and repotted. This one was in a ceramic pot, size 3,5. And back in the same pot! Stil in the contest with about 8 seedlings, entering their 3th year!
IMG_2758.jpg
IMG_2760.jpg

Very nice roots on these! Just read an article by Eric Schrader, about the difference between growing seedlings in a pond basket vs growing them in a ceramic pot! Very interesting! (As most of Eric's articles are very readable!

Top Bottom