Discussion of rules for 2023 ROR contest

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Whatever the rules are I am not going to argue. I have a couple trees (Chinese elm, hawthorn) that I plan to attempt ROR. If they fit the rules, I am in the contest. If not, I am out.
Come to think of it does Bald Cypress ROR seem natural to BNutters?

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Whatever the rules are I am not going to argue. I have a couple trees (Chinese elm, hawthorn) that I plan to attempt ROR. If they fit the rules, I am in the contest. If not, I am out.
Come to think of it does Bald Cypress ROR seem natural to BNutters?
Where I am at as well! I had planned to do a Bougainvillea, but if it doesn't fit the contest I am sure I can find something. @James W. @AugieGB I think you guys have it pretty nailed down, start the contest thread sooner than later as repotting season is upon us.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll have one or two that I do for this contest...and I'll probably have another handful of "other" species that I'll start a progression thread for simultaneously in the "Root over Rock / Rock Planting" subsection of the forum. Others are welcome to join me in that! It'll be like our own secret, but not secret, unofficial semi-contest.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have several ROR to start this year that won't fit this contest.
On the other hand, I just ordered some crabapple seedlings from @JEads at Left Coast Bonsai. Anybody know where I can find some mulberry starts small enough?

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Might have to adjust the minimum start size up a little to allow a cherry in a 4" pot.;)

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Where I am at as well! I had planned to do a Bougainvillea, but if it doesn't fit the contest I am sure I can find something. @James W. @AugieGB I think you guys have it pretty nailed down, start the contest thread sooner than later as repotting season is upon us.
Whoops I @ the wrong person, sorry AugieGB, should be @August !

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Had a house with a mulberry in the yard once that I chopped down repeatedly, dumped salt and saltpeter on, anything I could think of, but it just kept growing back from the roots.
I finally tried using the wood for smoking meat, and now I miss that tree since moving.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anybody know where I can find some mulberry starts small enough?
Look under the canopies of other established trees. Mulberry tend to be planted by birds. Bird eats mulberry fruits, perches on a tree, leaves droppings containing mulberry seed, seeds sprout. Hakuna matata!

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@James W. Do you want to make the contest post? I say for simplicities sale we allow anything from seed up to saplings. Use reason, post the stock when you start, if it's debatable as young enough material, then debate will ensue and a call can be made. Or maybe we already agreed not to limit starter material and I'm talking on a moot point; someone correct me in that case!

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a tiny quarts pebble that I like, also some other rock smaller than my fist, so I might give it a shot whenever the contest is a go.
I’m thinking super tiny would be interesting

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
James listed his intention of the limited start size of 3/8in (10mm). I'd personally view that as a "soft" limit.

Since this is a just a for fun contest anyways. I would like to think as long as the material is not obviously established or old yet thin material it should be fine. Maybe a slight discussion on acceptability or not as a start.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a tiny quarts pebble that I like, also some other rock smaller than my fist, so I might give it a shot whenever the contest is a go.
I’m thinking super tiny would be interesting
I was considering aiming for a mame size (or around that size anyways) myself.

I have a non-traditional "rock" in mind. I just need to figure out a decent species to combine with it as well as getting the scale correct.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was considering aiming for a mame size (or around that size anyways) myself.
He said elm from seed or seedling but I have like a 3mm root cutting that’s just started to leaf out, by which I mean it has a green spot on it, you think they’ll accept that?

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He said elm from seed or seedling but I have like a 3mm root cutting that’s just started to leaf out, by which I mean it has a green spot on it, you think they’ll accept that?
Probably!
Edit; not elm though! They're in the Ulmaceae family. Contest is limited to Rosaceae and Moraceae

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably!
Edit; not elm though! They're in the Ulmaceae family. Contest is limited to Rosaceae and Moraceae
i do actually have 1 of each, but i'll take a look at the final rules when it gets formally posted in the contests section

Top Bottom