Dividing group of Benjamina

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey everyone. I am new to Bonsai. I kind of thought this question was more suitable here then the beginner forum but if I am wrong I'm sorry.
Anyway I bought a young group of 6 Benjamina Ficus in a 6 in pot that I divided into separate pots. They range from 10-16 inches in height and had a very healthy and active root mass in peat moss. None of the roots had grafted or fused together yet as they have probably only been planted this way for a year but they were very entangled and not far from doing so. I know ficus can take a drastic root pruning but a couple of the trees suffered broken roots very close to the trunk leaving only a little of the feeder roots behind. I cut what roots that were damaged with sharp pruning shears wrapped the root with sphagnum moss a dusting of root hormone and planted them in akadama. Is this the best thing to do and should I prune the trees branches to try or leave them hoping the stored energy they have will assist in growing the roots back and healing?

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi and welcome, I really wouldn't worry a lot about ficus they are very hard to break trees. I have made cuttings of 5 cm without any issues (and I am sure even thicker can work).

The only thing a ficus needs to recover is humidity so, if you a really worried about them, try to put them under a plastic bag or so to create a small green house for 1 month but with feeder roots available (even just a few) I don't think it is needed.

Just avoid sun for now, keep them in open shade for 3 weeks and then gradually introduce them to full sun

Good luck

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for your advice Akhater. I know they are very hardy. Just wanted to make sure I was doing what was right. I have a tendency to worry to much. I have done the plastic bag trick before to aid in producing aerial roots on a Ginseng Ficus before but after about a week I had black and grey spots of mold (which after removing the plastic went away in a few days) growing on the leaves and trunk of the tree so I am leery to do so again. I'm not sure why mold grew besides the obvious increase in humidity but I don't want to risk losing a plant due to it.

Top Bottom