Does colour fading on a Juniper Bonsai mean it is dying?

Amy2021

Seed
Reaction score
Hello!

My juniper bonsai at the start was a dark green and vibrant. Four months later it’s a much lighter green non vibrant colour. Rookie mistake, I had it in the nursery pot for to long and may have over watered it at times. I have it in a better pot with good soil and fertilizer now. Trying to keep it in the sun as much as possible. It was mostly indoors but been putting it outside now.

I peeled back the bark and it is still green. The branches/leaves at the end were very sharp, dry and snapping off but what I have left are the branches that are flexabile and seem healthier.

I wanted to ask if my bonsai is to far gone? Does it stand a chance to get its colour back?

Thank you for the help in advance :)

Attachments

• 8B42DEE8-9BCF-4941-86C1-AB80B488F262.jpeg
    8B42DEE8-9BCF-4941-86C1-AB80B488F262.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 69

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little overwater worry usually leads to underwatering.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Amy,

welcome to the nuthouse.

If the branches go dry and brittle, there is no turning back.
There is a misconception that nursery pots are bad. They are not. Trees are growin in nursery opts all over the world by the millions each year. It is the wrong care (overwatering, underwatering, irregular watering, placing plants indoors) that kills trees. Last-ditch attempts "to do the right thing" and repot in coarse substrate, fertilize and moving them into full sun after spending time indoors are the drop that makes the bucket overflow.

Start over. Het a nice big bushy plant from the nursery for the price you paid for this presumably sold as bonsai. Post here what you got and get some advice on pruning. And you will be much happier.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's struggling but there is still a chance if the cambium is still green.

You made 2 mistakes
One was keeping it inside. This is a common misconception new people get when they buy a "mallsai" juniper and are told that it is an indoor tree. It's not.

The second mistake was repotting it. Repotting a stressed tree usually sends it further over the brink. Again, common mistake we make thinking we are helping.

You've got it outside now so that is good. I would actually move it to a spot that gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Water it when it needs it which is when a chopstick kept in the soil is just starting to get dry. Other than that, leave it alone and wait. It may reward you with some new growth. Be patient it may take a bit. As long as there is some green foliage, there is a chance.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wanted to ask if my bonsai is to far gone? Does it stand a chance to get its colour back?
Depends on when repotted and roots exposed during this ordeal. IF tree survives then yes.

Top Bottom