Does it really dry out quicky!?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forgive me, but without knowing the watering method and duration we are still running around too many unanswered questions.

There is a propensity for indoor plants to be watered poorly due to floors.

Some folks mist with belief it's enough.

These questions must be answered for any formulation of an idea close to an actual cause.

I say this because after dunk watering all spring to save water, where one would assume a good penetration of all soil by water, I've noticed that even then, they dry in a day, whereas a long rain duration keeps them wet an entire second day.

This is a great difference, the difference between indoor watering and rain has the potential to be even greater.

We must first shorten the distance of the difference to span the gap with understanding.

Lest your bonsai future becomes akin to this one in the world, where some folks actually believe "sleeping in certain ways" and "black tea drinking" are the cause of the recent spike in blood clots and heart problems, when it is really due to a poison sold to us by a company with the largest healthcare fraud settlement in history.

If understanding doesn't span the gap, we will all fall into the pit.

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, it's bougainvillea. Well, I got a couple of them and brought this one inside to repot the other day. A couple hours after I was done with repotting, watering and everything, I was gonna take it out to a shady area when I noticed it was dry. I watered it again, waited a couple hours, the same thing happened. So, I decided to keep it inside till I figure out what to do.

My .02 bougainvillea cannot get enough sun and heat and prefer a more drought like situation where they get drenched with water and then dry out then get drenched. Not constant water in small amounts.

I’d throw that sucker in full sun all day!

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
i use the organic bonsai jack soil for my indoor tiger bark ficus. I water it every third day. But I pick it up, put it in the sink with a cover over the disposal and shower it for about 20 seconds with a watering can. I’ve had it for about a year now doing this method.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
More 2 pennies….I have noticed if I let my garden and containers completely dry out it takes a bit of time to get the soil to rehydrate. Water will take preferential pathways out the drain holes without absorbing into the entire media.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i use the organic bonsai jack soil for my indoor tiger bark ficus. I water it every third day. But I pick it up, put it in the sink with a cover over the disposal and shower it for about 20 seconds with a watering can. I’ve had it for about a year now doing this method.
I had the same experience with my Benjamina that I overwintered in my basement. I watered it roughly 2x a week.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Well good. Now you know how heavy the pot is properly irrigated and will know when it is dry.

deineath

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forgive me, but without knowing the watering method and duration we are still running around too many unanswered questions.

There is a propensity for indoor plants to be watered poorly due to floors.

Some folks mist with belief it's enough.

These questions must be answered for any formulation of an idea close to an actual cause.

I say this because after dunk watering all spring to save water, where one would assume a good penetration of all soil by water, I've noticed that even then, they dry in a day, whereas a long rain duration keeps them wet an entire second day.

This is a great difference, the difference between indoor watering and rain has the potential to be even greater.

We must first shorten the distance of the difference to span the gap with understanding.

Lest your bonsai future becomes akin to this one in the world, where some folks actually believe "sleeping in certain ways" and "black tea drinking" are the cause of the recent spike in blood clots and heart problems, when it is really due to a poison sold to us by a company with the largest healthcare fraud settlement in history.

If understanding doesn't span the gap, we will all fall into the pit.

Sorce
Sorry I must have missed your reply.
As I mentioned, the tree was recently repotted in this new soil I never used before. The soil dries out in matter of hours. I use rainwater by watering can, run it 2-3 times with a 5 min gap. The soil would be try from top to bottom in, I'd say, 3-4 hours.
--
So, somebody else suggested that the soil might be hydrophobic and possibly needs a dunk to start. I gave it try, and left the pot in a container for maybe 10 min, and it's responded really well. It's been almost 48 hours and the soil is still moist!

Last edited:

deineath

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well good. Now you know how heavy the pot is properly irrigated and will know when it is dry.
Thanks very much. This was very confusing to begin with, also was certainly hard to explain to everybody here that I know what I'm talking about.
It's been 2 days, I think, I haven't watered it. The chopstick comes back all moist! Cheers!

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I have potted stuff up with completely dry soil before in 5 gal cans. Took forever to hydrate and even to see water come out drainage holes. Been there…..

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Bonsai Jack Organic is my favorite soil. You can order a bulk of it and mix in other ingredients bought in smaller amounts. Fine/fir fines for example. If your worried about moisture retention you can dress the soil surface with spagnum moss, a coir mat cut to fit, or something else.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bonsai Jack Organic is my favorite soil. You can order a bulk of it and mix in other ingredients bought in smaller amounts. Fine/fir fines for example. If your worried about moisture retention you can dress the soil surface with spagnum moss, a coir mat cut to fit, or something else.
Yeah I top my bonsai jack soil with sphagnum mixed with collected moss from my yard.

Top Bottom