Dogwood

Domi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The tree looks amazing!

How early in the season do you start pruning?

I have a Cornus Mas that has started sending a few long branches, and I’m wondering whether I should let leaves develop a bit more before cutting down to the first pair in the branch to

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
The tree looks amazing!

How early in the season do you start pruning?

I have a Cornus Mas that has started sending a few long branches, and I’m wondering whether I should let leaves develop a bit more before cutting down to the first pair in the branch to
Hi Domi, you can cut it very soon if it is necessary. Basically you have to, since if you do not do it early the first internode could be too long to use it in your future design and branch could harden so it will not be possible to wire it to desired shape.

Domi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Domi, you can cut it very soon if it is necessary. Basically you have to, since if you do not do it early the first internode could be too long to use it in your future design and branch could harden so it will not be possible to wire it to desired shape.
Thank you, Maros!
I’m taking my Cornus Mas for a haircut now then ;-)

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Trees looking amazing! I’m still getting used to what the species likes and dislikes. How much sunlight is yours getting?
Thanks for compliments.

Currently tree has direct sunlight from 11.00 intil 18.00. It's very hot in my area now (few days around 37°C). Watering twice a day. A lot of water.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
For some time top right side was way too strong and outgrowing somehow ideal profile of the crown. I should have addressed it earlier but better now than never. So, some parts of the structure in that section were heavily pruned back in late summer. Flower buds are ready to produce hundreds of flowers next spring.

DSC_6416e.jpg

DSC_6421e.jpg

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love this tree. Awesome example of what’s possible. Great progression!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I love this tree! It breaks the "rules" in all the right ways. I'm sure given this tree years back, some would have cut the "offending" branches off and made a conventional bonsai. I , for one, am glad you decided to take the route you took.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Early spring pictures. Seems like a bit more flowers than usual.
Disclaimer: “No Animals Were Harmed during the photography session and only 8 pieces of dog treats were used”
DSC_6514x.jpg

DSC_6529x.jpg
Gorgeous tree.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
That picture looks like it should be the cover of a book. Nice!
Me: Nice idea from leatherback. I can see it on something thick, written by German which changes the wolrld.💭

Mean Me: "Das Kapital" from Karl Marx?😬

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me: Nice idea from leatherback. I can see it on something thick, written by German which changes the wolrld.💭

Mean Me: "Das Kapital" from Karl Marx?😬
"Overwintering in Slovakia: Hunting Between Bonsai and BBQ"

Top Bottom