DRAFT - Rules & Guidelines For First Annual Box Store Challenge – Fall Edition

RustyNail

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
had no luck at one lowe's and a nursery yesterday, the nursery said the only thing they had was a Blue Rug Juniper in a 3 gal container. going to another lowe's and home depot and tomorrow call a couple more nursery's.

is junipers a seasonal thing ?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it's a box store then a photo is probably not a big deal. Will you pass by the nursery before Saturday?

I googled the address of the place and took a screenshot of the street pic ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey guys. That seasonal question made me think your shipment might still be coming. We have tons. All tagged Fall Planting.

It might not be fair if the cutoff date is too early.

Im all for the honor system.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:( the juniper at Lowe's were ground cover with no trunk. Found somepot 2.7 at nursery . $37 but will come down to $25. Anyone? I've called around no one has anything.

I dont think it fair to have more mature material though.

RustyNail

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
the reason I ask if they were seasonal is yesterday when I was in lowe's they had 25 or so of
Mugo Pine (Dwarf) in 3 gal containers I had never seen them in there before. they were nice little tree's may go back and get one just for my own to work with .(not for challenge)best I can remember they were priced at 24.95 which I thought was a good price.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'll have to pass this go around. No nurseries are carrying junis around here. Maybe next time consider similar options like taxus?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'll have to pass this go around. No nurseries are carrying junis around here. Maybe next time consider similar options like taxus?

I say use the taxus. Honestly, if that's your best/only option, go for it. The most important thing is that it's in a 1 gal can and less then 30 bucks.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Why not dwarf alberta spruce? I don't think anyone has mentioned them. The nurseries are probably packed with them.

Rob

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For everyone having issues finding junipers, there is a category for anything you'd like. Enter there.

Also, is it against the rules to enter more than one tree?

Also, anyone able to find a true 1 gallon pot at a nursery, you have an edge. I looked at 5 places this weeked, 2.8 qt or 1.7 gallon is all that exists in western pa I think. One is too small, one is too large.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also, anyone able to find a true 1 gallon pot at a nursery, you have an edge. I looked at 5 places this weeked, 2.8 qt or 1.7 gallon is all that exists in western pa I think. One is too small, one is too large.

I think we should allow between 1 and 2 gallon. The one I found is 1.5 gallons.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Drove an hour away...I went to Lowes...nothing but ground cover the qt. size pots. Went to a nursery that brings material in to the mall parking lot. Found the 2.7 gal juniper. But...honestly I don't feel it fair to use it. Brain stormed recalled the antique mall was bought out. And they too had a small nursery brought into the parking lot. But...end of the season I seen nothing. Walmart had what I expected to find...DEAD PLANTS. :(

Now...to go anywhere else for a box store is almost an hour and a half in the opposite direction. Now...there is a small landscaping business outside of Carrollton where I live. I have no idea if they would have anything. It's very small...one covered green house that is the size of maybe a small garage. I may look there tomorrow when I go into the bank. Won't hurt to look.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For everyone having issues finding junipers, there is a category for anything you'd like. Enter there.

Also, is it against the rules to enter more than one tree?

Only one tree for this challenge. If we do it again we may revise that requirement. This whole challenge is not all about winning (although I'd like to). I posted somewhere yesterday that I talked with a local nursery owner and the industry standard is to call 2.5 - 3.0 quart pots "1 Gallon Containers." Also, the pot doesn't have to be 1 gallon it's just not supposed to exceed 1 gallon. Mine is in a 2.5 quart pot. Maybe you can post a photo of the tree/container and get everyone opinion on whether it's okay? Let's keep the "FUN Factor" front and center. Sound fair? Thanks for the questions as they clarify the requirements for everyone.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Drove an hour away...I went to Lowes...nothing but ground cover the qt. size pots. Went to a nursery that brings material in to the mall parking lot. Found the 2.7 gal juniper. But...honestly I don't feel it fair to use it. Brain stormed recalled the antique mall was bought out. And they too had a small nursery brought into the parking lot. But...end of the season I seen nothing. Walmart had what I expected to find...DEAD PLANTS. :(

Now...to go anywhere else for a box store is almost an hour and a half in the opposite direction. Now...there is a small landscaping business outside of Carrollton where I live. I have no idea if they would have anything. It's very small...one covered green house that is the size of maybe a small garage. I may look there tomorrow when I go into the bank. Won't hurt to look.

I'm so sorry about the driving. I thought it would be fairly easy to find a juniper anywhere in the U.S. Just goes to show you how much I know. For the record, mine is in a 2.5 quart container. I really hope you find one. I wish I could ship you one...

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think we should allow between 1 and 2 gallon. The one I found is 1.5 gallons.

If everyone else is okay with it then I am. Just as long as you can participate. I think the real challenge is going to be in the styling no matter what the size of the container. Please, anyone else that has an opinion, pipe in!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm so sorry about the driving. I thought it would be fairly easy to find a juniper anywhere in the U.S. Just goes to show you how much I know. For the record, mine is in a 2.5 quart container. I really hope you find one. I wish I could ship you one...

It's not your fault I chose the location to live. I must drive that far to go anywhere to buy something. I had to go to the mall anyways for eye glass wet wipes at Lens Crafters. So not a lost trip. So I took advantage and went to Walmart that has groceries far cheaper than where I live. So...not a complete loss.

I was so excited to find something to work with...I honestly don't feel the 2.5 gal. Would be fair...it was all I could find that was Procumbens...the ground cover at Lowes was some sort of gold something...and not the healthiest looking either.

Top Bottom