DRAFT - Rules & Guidelines For First Annual Box Store Challenge – Fall Edition

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
May I make a request...that...the one in spring isn't during June 5th. We leave for our mission trip for two weeks. I sure would like to participate come spring.

Maybe I can talk the husband into taking the boys to a movie next weekend. Not sure of the date that the cut off ends...BUT...it would take us in the other direction almost an hour and a half. But...for a family purpose I could stop in at a box store near there maybe? Win/win maybe? I hate to drive it...and not find anything.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If everyone else is okay with it then I am. Just as long as you can participate. I think the real challenge is going to be in the styling no matter what the size of the container. Please, anyone else that has an opinion, pipe in!

Some of us have already purchased trees at the previous size requirement... A larger tree will have a big advantage even in styling. There's just more to work with.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If everyone else is okay with it then I am. Just as long as you can participate. I think the real challenge is going to be in the styling no matter what the size of the container. Please, anyone else that has an opinion, pipe in!

tmpgh said:
Some of us have already purchased trees at the previous size requirement... A larger tree will have a big advantage even in styling. There's just more to work with.

I simply can not find anything that is physically less than a gallon. The smallest I can find is a 1.5 gallon pot, so I guess Ill remove myself from the sign up.

I mentioned previously that the size proposed was too small.

Last edited:

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I didn't get to a big boxstore after all this weekend but I drive 1 1/2 hours one way to the office and pass 5 and a couple of nurseries on the way....So I will be looking this week. When is the dead line for finished entry photos.....?

Container size decision would be nice as well.

Brian

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I didn't get to a big boxstore after all this weekend but I drive 1 1/2 hours one way to the office and pass 5 and a couple of nurseries on the way....So I will be looking this week. When is the dead line for finished entry photos.....?

Container size decision would be nice as well.

Brian

Still working on the container issue. The cutoff was to be September 13th but we can massage it a little because the big thing is the final photo submission cutoff. Thanks!

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I simply can not find anything that is physically less than a gallon. The smallest I can find is a 1.5 gallon pot, so I guess Ill remove myself from the sign up.

I mentioned previously that the size proposed was too small.

I want to apologize. I got caught up in the moment. This is just for fun. Everyone should get to play, and if that means using a bigger tree or a smaller tree or a tree that isn't a juniper, fun is fun.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
What about a 360 video of the tree for final judging. Or maybe incorporate skype so the judges panel can have a one on one critique session with the participants. Maybe a little too much but I think it could be really cool, and would help a lot of us newbs get different perspectives.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What about a 360 video of the tree for final judging. Or maybe incorporate skype so the judges panel can have a one on one critique session with the participants. Maybe a little too much but I think it could be really cool, and would help a lot of us newbs get different perspectives.

I think some may find that to high tech. Living in the boonies...I get 10 GB per month. Videos kill my broadband. So...I wouldn't be able to view it...until my broadband was free...midnight-5am.

Last edited:

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I say use the taxus. Honestly, if that's your best/only option, go for it. The most important thing is that it's in a 1 gal can and less then 30 bucks.

I grabbed a 2.5 QT taxus for 6.98 which is my best option at this point. If nobody objects.....

RustyNail

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
found a Juniper Procumbens today it was in a 1 gal container for 10 bucks. it looked a bit rough but I took it. should be fun just the same.

good luck to all that enter and have fun.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Contest Judging

Bill Valavanis is a member here, he may judge if you ask.

I think Owen R is also a member he might judge also.

Hi All, I'd be willing to get involved if that's what is decided. I did the Ryuga Contest judging earlier this year but that was definitely more complex. This is a fun and interesting idea. However, I feel obliged to say that Box Stores have almost all their temperate material delivered on consignment so they often mistreat the plants. It's leading to a decline in the woody plant production (aka Green Industry) quality standards and profitability.

My stance on box store plants is that they are good for practicing techniques or taking out pent-up pruning frustration. I would however, judge the competition objectively if asked.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi All, I'd be willing to get involved if that's what is decided. I did the Ryuga Contest judging earlier this year but that was definitely more complex. This is a fun and interesting idea. However, I feel obliged to say that Box Stores have almost all their temperate material delivered on consignment so they often mistreat the plants. It's leading to a decline in the woody plant production (aka Green Industry) quality standards and profitability.

My stance on box store plants is that they are good for practicing techniques or taking out pent-up pruning frustration. I would however, judge the competition objectively if asked.

Owen,

Bill is going to judge our work. Most everyone has their material and has been working on it. Am I hearing from you that you would be willing to judge our work alongside Bill? If so, that would amp up the challenge quite a bit; quite a bit indeed. Your thoughts?

Vince

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
found a Juniper Procumbens today it was in a 1 gal container for 10 bucks. it looked a bit rough but I took it. should be fun just the same.

good luck to all that enter and have fun.

I don't recall seeing your entry. Are you in?

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Owen,

Bill is going to judge our work. Most everyone has their material and has been working on it. Am I hearing from you that you would be willing to judge our work alongside Bill? If so, that would amp up the challenge quite a bit; quite a bit indeed. Your thoughts?

Vince

I'd be willing to work on this as long as it's by invitation. Don't want to muscle in on anything. I've been meaning to follow this forum more so this will be a good start. Please let me know what I need to do and when.

Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Somebody send the formal invitation!

Owen, you are a righteous dude!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Bill and Owen for the generous offers of your time. Glad to see that we will have some quality judges!
:)

Top Bottom