Duranta erecta 'Gold Mound'

Austin K.

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hello,

I've only been into bonsai for a little over a year now, and I purchased this horribly root bound shrub around August. I have been working with it since trying to learn how to shape foliage pads. One thing that has been bothering me for quite a while, however, is the ugly lump of twisted roots at the base of the tree. Any advice on what I could possibly do to fix this? Any other advice on what I could do to improve the tree would be greatly appreciated as well. :D

August
27ypy08.jpg

Today
2wd3sj5.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Austin, I think those roots are fantastic. I am a sucker for twisted exposed roots like that, they remind me of the old wild oaks in Florida that have been beaten by the wind for decades.

ed

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Austin, I think those roots are fantastic. I am a sucker for twisted exposed roots like that, they remind me of the old wild oaks in Florida that have been beaten by the wind for decades.

ed

I was thinking the same thing. Austin, I'll be happy to trade you for something that has roots you may like better:D

Last edited:

Austin K.

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was thinking the same thing. Austin, I'll be happy to you for something that has roots you may like better:D

Thank you. I have read in a few places that having roots that overlap each other like that is considered bad. Would that just be more of a personal preference than an actual rule? I still have a lot to learn. :)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Right, wrong or indifferent I've been told many times to always ask myself "would one find a particular attribute (i.e. overlapping roots) in nature when trying to find direction in a piece". Like you, I'm pretty new to the art as well so please don't take my comment as advice. However, it's helped me with some of my trees. I personally think the roots on your tree look very natural.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should call this one "The Lovers".

ed

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have to agree that the roots are not the most attractive thing about you tree(s). You might solve that "problem" (not a rule) in one of two ways:

1. Plant the tree deeper in the pot.

2. Put it in the ground (or larger shallow pot) with soil over ALL of the roots and let it grow for several years (maintaining the style trimming, which is very nice) until the roots really fuse together. That WILL take a while.

Top Bottom