Dwarf Ficus Microcarpa

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Went to Meehan's this morning and picked up a new ficus. Love the little leaves, but they're slow growers (compared to the non-dwarf variety).

I'd like some advice. I don't know whether I should keep all three trunks, or remove the middle one to have a sort of twin trunk thing going on. The taper and length of the two right-most trunks are fairly similar, so I think it's throwing off the composition. What do you all think?

Attachments

• IMG_9696.jpg
    IMG_9696.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9699.jpg
    IMG_9699.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 87

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I would not remove anything for now...and you have only two trunks, if you can consider the small one a trunk. I would consider the right most one a branch...it is too high to be a trunk.
I like the fact that this fig is developing air roots. I would use that to my advantage and try to enlarge the trunk by promoting more root growth, and fusing it to the trunk.
I would chop the right branch (trunk) short...and use a lower shoot to train as a horizontal branch.
Are you happy with the thickness of the trunk? How big it is?
if you are you can trunk chop the middle trunk to create movement and taper and develop a new leader.
You can tape the small left trunk to the main trunk and try to fuse it also.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd keep all three, but would shorten the right-hand trunk to almost a stub.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would think about chopping it back a little bit and rooting the chopped pieces. From there it would be easy to regrow a new canopy. Dunno about how fast considering it's a dwarf variety. I would probably leave that low branch for now. I'm just spitballing, maybe it will inspire you to do something else.

Attachments

• dwarf microcarpa virt.jpg
    dwarf microcarpa virt.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 41

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the responses. I suppose the left most part is more of a branch than a trunk. I sort of looked like a trunk before I chopped it to make it into a horizontal branch.

The base of the trunk which is mostly buried is about 4" across. I'm happy with the trunk size, but it needs to be more proportional. I envisioned something like your vert Kennedy, so I think chopping the right-most trunk to make a horizontal branch would be good. The middle part probably needs to shortened to create better taper.

Apparently these guys grow pretty slowly, but I think it'll develop relatively quickly compared to many other trees.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here it is after a chop. I also cleaned up competing buds and unnecessary branches. I'll wire a branch horizontally once one pops on the right side. I'll continue to develop a new leader/crown.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_9709.jpg
    IMG_9709.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 44

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
tams you did a good job. Make sure you plant the cuttings.
I did a fast one for you...You might need to chop the right trunk/branch some more.

Attachments

• IMG_9699.jpg
    IMG_9699.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 40

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
tams you did a good job. Make sure you plant the cuttings.
I did a fast one for you...You might need to chop the right trunk/branch some more.

Nice! I appreciate the vert.

I'm going to see where buds pop on the right side and then decide which to keep as my horizontal branch. I'll likely shorten the right side more when I select the bud. I'm learning! :D

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just a small update. I cleaned up the trunk by getting rid of unwanted buds to redirect the trees energy to the branches I want to keep. It's coming along, but still has years to go. Just letting it run wild to thicken branches and set them in place. Sorry the picture isn't the greatest. The bottom branch is pointed at the viewer and will eventually be cut back once the desired thickness is achieved.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 33

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Coming along nicely. Those leaves are pretty small. I bet they get tiny with leaf reduction techniques.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Coming along nicely. Those leaves are pretty small. I bet they get tiny with leaf reduction techniques.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to how it'll look with a dense canopy in a couple of years. Defoliation will take FOREVER though. They have to be on par with willow leafs in terms of leaf count per inch.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Looking good Tams! You will have lots of fun with it.

Top Bottom