east coaster looking for a palette of pumice

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
There are supplies on the west coast but I'm not sure if there are any close to you.....a quick goggle gave us two supplies here in BC Canada.....
Good luck.
G.

Yeah I was figuring the shipping would be less from tne west coast than it would be from the east (a little less miles to ship).

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
dkraft, you should have no problem finding suppliers out there! It's here on the east coast there is a void to fill, hence the name of this thread :)

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do a quick google - there is a huge pumice producer just two states over in Idaho;)

Yeah I was figuring the shipping would be less from tne west coast than it would be from the east (a little less miles to ship).

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Its been awhile since i posted on this topic but i have been hard at work trying to secure a good priced product for people in my area. I have a few different companies capable of working in large amounts but i want to make sure i get a good price. what do you think of seventy five cents a pound for clean 3/16 dry pumice? If that's not a good price what should i be looking to pay per pound of clean dry pumice?

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
To give you an idea of price, I just ordered a pallet of sifted pumice from wee trees for $0.36 a pound. Btw, I was talking to your contact last week. I really hope he can get pumice for the same price others sell it. Shipping from him to me for a pallet would be $250 less than wee trees.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately i don't know if my first connect is gonna work out, he is trying to purchase from the same quarries i am! however my second and third contacts have both dropped off samples and prices, now its just a haggling game. Its slow going but if one of these contacts gives me the right price point, I'm just gonna stick my neck out and buy four pallets from him and see what happens, worst case scenario i have soil for the rest of my life, silver lining - that's one less thing have to worry about :/

I been crazy busy lately but this is definitely still in the works and i guess there is progress, now I'm sure its possible to get pumice in our area of the right size and quality, now all i need is the right price!,

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
May I ask why you are not simply having any local tractor/farm supply place just order you in Dry Stall?

Grimmy

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Finally found some pumice

Grimlore, I have been looking for pumice for months now, but originally wanted to find a bulk amount and sell it to other mid-atlantic bonsai peeps who need it. But I could not find it anywhere!!! At one point I was so desperate, I even tried DRY STALL corporate, I could not even find that! They do not sell it NJ apparently...

But, I finally was able to do it! I found pumice after being frustratingly close so many times! I purchased a ton of it, basically banking on the fact that it's getting near spring, and people around here will need it!

So I guess in the end, I'm glad I didn't find Dry Stall!

I guess I'll post another thread about it, but if anyone sees this and needs pumice in the mid/north atlantic area, shoot me an email or PM!

Email- joshua.hanzman@gmail.com

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any chance you can post a photo or two of the pumice, with a ruler so we can see the size range? I assume it's the standard grey pumice. Did you manage to find a local supplier, or did you have to get it shipped from out west?

Chris

ibnozn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Picked up some of Josh's pumice over the weekend. It looks really nice. Probably 100% useable material. It shouldn't need any screening. Looking forward to getting some stuff planted in it. Josh, thanks again. Here's a pic if anyone else is interested. He has tons (literally) of it. :)

Attachments

• pumice.jpeg
    pumice.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 42

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Very cool thing to do ibnozn, thanks for picking up the post from coh, of which this is first i've seen... Sorry about that coh, I would have done it much sooner but your post slipped by me.

It was really cool meeting you ibnozn, I love whenever anyone who is into bonsai comes and buys pumice I get to show them my trees and stuff, and bs with them, always a good time!

Top Bottom