Easy to maintain bonsai

Nellb

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello everyone,

So I've been growing bonsai got 2 years and browsing around this forum for a while posting a few times, but I had an interesting situation arise that maybe you guys could help with. Next August I'm getting married and my fiance has taken full control of the wedding, but the other day she asked me if I would grow bonsai for the table center pieces (she's a keeper, I know ). Now I have someone helping me out that's a local bonsai expert, for a good majority of the trees, but I'd like to grow a few of my own, and especially since this is a gf/wife sanctioned bonsai experience I want to take full advantage.

Here's the catch, they can't be much more then $50 a pop, and apparently in her culture it's common to take center pieces from weddings without asking. I would like to find interesting yet easy to care for trees to work on. Probably "indoor" bonsai specimen would be best.

Any ideas for what plants to work with?

Relknes

Sapling
Reaction score
10 months isn't very long to develop bonsai for presentation, and "Indoor" is tough, but you might consider some nursery junipers. Not an indoor species, but they'll be fine for a week or two inside. You can make a somewhat presentable specimen in that timeframe, since a lack of taper isn't as big a deal with junipers, and deadwood is an interesting feature you can develop pretty quickly. You should be able to pick them up for $10-$20 a pop.

Also, let her know that it might be a good idea to do some extra... in case one or two die, and so she has a choice of what to put on the tables, or whatever other excuse you can come up with.;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hate to burst your bubble, but there really is no such thing as an "easy to maintain bonsai". Bonsai is work no matter what species you are talking about. I agree that 10 months isnt really long enough to do what you are talking about and honestly, $10-$20 junipers are probably gona look like crap. Sorry to be blunt but Ive tried to style many of those $20 junipers and they all look like pretty much crap when Im done because they need time to develop. Time in years, not in months.

It seems like a nice idea, but in reality, if someone takes the centerpiece home without knowing what they are getting into = dead tree.
Im not really an advocate of doing this sort of thing knowing the tree is probably going to die.

Congrats on the wedding and grats on finding someone that is supportive of your hobby, a keeper indeed. I wish you a long, happy and healthy life together.

Nellb

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Honestly we both agreed upon a "mall-sai" look, not something I can show off in the national show lol. There will be about 15 tables so I planned on growing 20. Maybe at worst 5 will be walked off with, not all them.

I plan to keep a few myself and give the rest back to the other person helping me grow them because he sells them.

I do realize that 10 months is a blink in the bonsai world, but I thought it'd be a novel idea and just looking for ideas, plus it means I get more trees my gf is ok with lol.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd think you could gather a bunch of x mart ficus tubers at fall close out prices and keep them under a shop light in a south window till spring. They will go crazy outdoors in spring and not break the bank. Non Bonsai folks think they are awesome...

saw these today for 16 dollars
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ginseng-Grafted-Ficus-Bonsai-Tree/38363139

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Nellb

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd think you could gather a bunch of x mart ficus tubers at fall close out prices and keep them under a shop light in a south window till spring. They will go crazy outdoors in spring and not break the bank. Non Bonsai folks think they are awesome...

saw these today for 16 dollars
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ginseng-Grafted-Ficus-Bonsai-Tree/38363139
I do like that idea.

I've been browsing some stuff online but am apprehensive about shipping plants.
Has anyone offered from Dallasbonsai.com or wigretsbonsai.com? I saw some interesting plants on those sites for reasonable prices

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Congrats on the wedding.
Am sure you'll be able to find especially with the help of a friend who sells bonsai 15-20 nursery plants that have potential for a nice first styling in 4-5 months from now. Would look amazing for non bonsai knowledgeable people question if it'll look nice for you in a year from now (as our bonsai taste becomes more finicky by the day) or in 20 yrs from now when u look at your wedding pics while sitting in your garden looking at your then prized collection! Then again would be very special if a few of those trees would be the same that were on your wedding tables ceremony. I'm sure If you're buying 20-25 trees at 50ish some nursery would cut u a deal on some better quality trees...
Looking forward to see pics of those and documentation of an "instant" 1 year show Bonsai.

Reaction score
Indeed lower the standard, or make some with bonsai wire. Fun, easy to maintain and foolproof.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Plant some acorns now, it wont be much of a tree but could still look fun in an interesting pot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Congrats VF's!

Congrats @Nellb !

It might be fun to have unstyled junipers.
Put a piece of wire out for everyone at the table, and have them each wire a section.

Have a bit on how "marriage shapes your life".

Then.....however many survive by your first anniversy....vow to have that many children!
Just hope it ain't 15....or 5 for that matter!

Or.....

The home depot been having little mame pots with nana cuttings in them.

You could almost put one at each setting.

They are mad cute!

Sorce

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Contact Martha at Meehansminiatures.com and tell her what you want to do. You can get some decently developed tropicals, do a little pruning and repot into nice containers. I'm sure she will personally choose plants for you that fit the bill. Their prices are very reasonable and the Meehans are great folks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I second @augustine - Meehan's is the place to call, my local bonsai society uses her for picking up workshop trees. If you are buying $20 at a time, she will give you a nice quality tree for the price. Though Brussle's isn't bad, but I think you'll be happier with Meehan.

Another idea - inspired by @Djtommy - pick up a batch of ginkgo seedlings, plant them in kokedama, (mud balls) set them on 20 nice nearly flat kusamono trays, add moss, maybe a fern, and you'll have an interesting Keokedama centerpiece.

I consider kokedama part of bonsai, though it might really be its own thing like Ikebana. I've occasionally seen kokedama used as kusamono with a larger bonsai

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brussel's has more mallsai bonsai than anyone else.

Heck, they carry thousands! "Ready to ship"!

You wouldn't have to make them and keep them for months. Call them on Monday, they'd have them on your doorstep on Wednesday!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I consider kokedama part of bonsai, though it might really be its own thing like Ikebana. I've occasionally seen kokedama used as kusamono with a larger bonsai
Three Wiki searches in two sentences... Luv Ya Leo! Learning.

Top Bottom