eBay Seller plant1onme

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A few years ago I bought like 40 or 60 bareroot trident seedlings from this seller to thread through CDs and create fused clumps. By the time spring came around and the leaves emerged it was too late to do anything. All were sugar maples. Useless. This seller is a swindler and a scumbag. To be avoided like the plague.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just came across this thread. I’m sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I second the recommendation of purchasing from Matt (ebay: kaedebonsai-en). I purchased some JBP from him about a month ago. Between the time the order was placed and processed the price had dropped by a few dollars. For some reason the price was updated early that day but had not taken effect on ebay until after I had placed my order. I send Matt a message about this and he said he would throw in some extra seedling. I had ordered 10 he sent 21! I will definitely do business with him again in the future.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sadly there's a lot of bad bonsai on ebay.... some of it fetching spectacular prices. You'd think it would be safe enough to get seedlings... disappointing. I had no idea seedlings went for so much. :eek:

Best of luck with your project this year....

kindly,

Victrinia

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
This guy did the same thing to me. I bought 3 dawn redwoods from him came in brown told me they were dormante. Told me to wait till spring. Hit him back in April told him no buds and tree was brittle. Then he said the dont bud till late April. Mind you this was the second week of April. Tried to contact eBay and the said it's been to long. So I said I'll get him and buy more then say the new ones were dead and easy refund. Nope guess he knew it was coming so he blocked me. This guys bad news.

DynaDom

Seed
Reaction score
Seller plant1onme, This AHOLE DID THIS TO ME. I bought 3 persimmon trees from him in March. He took 3 weeks to send them then they arrived dead but he acted like he was on my side and told me to wait 1 month for them to bud as he is in MI and I'm in VA. Lots of BS. So I waited. Then I realized I was past my return window but not feedback window. I saw a lot of people were complaining about the same thing about him selling dead trees and not refunding money wasting time and abusing Ebay's return window. I told him I don't want to leave him a bad review so he can send me new trees or refund my money, he said he would send me new trees and over a month went by and I can not leave a bad review and he ignores my messages. OBVIOUSLY no new trees. Ebay is worthless for help. I'm considering deleting my ebay account F them all.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m an Etsy guy for trees. Nothing but good experiences on there. As for eBay, @rodeolthr is the only one I’ve bought from and that’s because he’s on here. He’s got fantastic trees and very impressive shipping practices btw. As a small time peddler of trees myself, I hate when people exploit or work the rules to screw people out of their money. It’s sad…. It’s not hard to grow trees…. It’s not hard to sell LIVE trees…

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Seller plant1onme, This AHOLE DID THIS TO ME. I bought 3 persimmon trees from him in March. He took 3 weeks to send them then they arrived dead but he acted like he was on my side and told me to wait 1 month for them to bud as he is in MI and I'm in VA. Lots of BS. So I waited. Then I realized I was past my return window but not feedback window. I saw a lot of people were complaining about the same thing about him selling dead trees and not refunding money wasting time and abusing Ebay's return window. I told him I don't want to leave him a bad review so he can send me new trees or refund my money, he said he would send me new trees and over a month went by and I can not leave a bad review and he ignores my messages. OBVIOUSLY no new trees. Ebay is worthless for help. I'm considering deleting my ebay account F them all.
Welcome to the nut house!🤪. Check out Etsy or poke around here. There’s several folk who sell trees from time to time.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
who sells tress on Etsy?

I got my Brazillian rain trees off Etsy. Some sequoia saplings too before I realized how easy they are from seed.

A lot of the "bonsai" is marketed junk...best to stay away. But there are a ton of true plant enthusiasts and decent deals on Etsy if you can navigate the bogus crap.

I don't recommend for newbies though... a LOT of hyped garbage to fall for if you're not careful :(

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got my Brazillian rain trees off Etsy. Some sequoia saplings too before I realized how easy they are from seed.

A lot of the "bonsai" is marketed junk...best to stay away. But there are a ton of true plant enthusiasts and decent deals on Etsy if you can navigate the bogus crap.

I don't recommend for newbies though... a LOT of hyped garbage to fall for if you're not careful :(
A very safe scam is wisteria. I'll bet 98% of the fancy cultivars sold online are generic wisteria stock. But since it takes years for it to flower, it's too late once it's discovered.

Second in the scam world is willow cuttings with their fake flowery names. A lot of times sold for bonsai. Most egregious is the dwarf willow that isn't, and which is usually accompanied by a picture of a different genus entirely.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A very safe scam is wisteria. I'll bet 98% of the fancy cultivars sold online are generic wisteria stock. But since it takes years for it to flower, it's too late once it's discovered.

Second in the scam world is willow cuttings with their fake flowery names. A lot of times sold for bonsai. Most egregious is the dwarf willow that isn't, and which is usually accompanied by a picture of a different genus entirely.

Yeah, it must suck to be a legit hobbiest plant vendor these days :( Unless you have the volume...in which case you're probably not a hobbiest...places like Etsy and ebay can be facilitating. They rob you, to be sure, but they do make the otherwise daunting feasible (I sell woodworking on Etsy from time to time. I'd never bother setting up and marketing my own site even though it's a skillset I have. At my volume, it's more cost effective to let Etsy eat into my meager profits.). But to have to compete with all the blue maples and boobie gourds to sell a legit product must be disheartening.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Etsy is not really any better than Ebay, IMO. I've looked through the "bonsai" sold on both over the years. MOST of the stuff being sold on both places is assorted crap, junk and unhealthy, overpriced crap and junk. If you're after decent stuff, find a reputable online seller.

Bill Valavanis

Julian Adams

Matt Ouwinga

Meehans'

I've purchased stuff from all of these folks over decades. They're reasonable, have good stock and will actually provide knowledgeable help post-sale. They don't rip people off and can become actual resources on your bonsai journey. Most of the sellers on etsy and ebay don't care much more than getting a sale.

I would give all of those listed above an actual telephone call. I know it's old school and inconvenient, but well, most good and excellent bonsai suppliers are old school. Just ordering from what's online is only the tip of the iceberg of what might be available from them.

Haven't bought anything from here, but Wigerts seems to have decent stuff and custom service.

Brussels can be pricey, but they're got some decent trees (and some overpriced crap as well).

Top Bottom