Elm watering

bartlol

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Chinese elm with 8 years that I bought a Month Ago.
I had a headache with watering. Never know for sure when it need water.:(

Have received several warnings and suggestions but the question remains.:confused:
I live in Lisbon Portugal and elm is inside by the window where you take some (few) hours of sunshine per day.

Until now is in good health but I'm afraid that this may change due to bad watering.:(

Please let me know your advice.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Elm 1.jpg
    Elm 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Elm 2.jpg
    Elm 2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 47
  • Elm 3.jpg
    Elm 3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 57

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your elm appears to be in good health.
To monitor water needs, push the small end of a chopstick to the bottom of the soil and leave it there. Every morning pull out the chopstick and check it for dryness. If the stick is damp, dont water. Put the stick back in the soil and check every day.
Too much water will rot the roots. If it stays too dry for a day, no big problem.

Hope this helps you. Good luck!

bartlol

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Chinese elm with 8 years that I bought a Month Ago.
I had a headache with watering. Never know for sure when it need water.:(

Have received several warnings and suggestions but the question remains.:confused:
I live in Lisbon Portugal and elm is inside by the window where you take some (few) hours of sunshine per day.

Until now is in good health but I'm afraid that this may change due to bad watering.:(

Please let me know your advice.:rolleyes:

Do you think that the daily appearance of some yellow leaves can be a problem?

bartlol

Seedling
Reaction score
Your elm appears to be in good health.
To monitor water needs, push the small end of a chopstick to the bottom of the soil and leave it there. Every morning pull out the chopstick and check it for dryness. If the stick is damp, dont water. Put the stick back in the soil and check every day.
Too much water will rot the roots. If it stays too dry for a day, no big problem.

Hope this helps you. Good luck!

About watering I tested with sticks and made ​​a hole in the soil to confirm that was dry.
It seems to me that I am now with more certainty in relation to watering.:rolleyes:
Let's see how it goes the next few weeks.

Thank you for help.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do you think that the daily appearance of some yellow leaves can be a problem?

I may not be the best person to answer since I nearly killed my elm, but, it seems that elms will grow and replace leaves fairly often. So I think a few are ok.

Top Bottom