Watering Examples for Chinese Elm Bonsai

dhelix33

Seedling
Reaction score
My Chinese Elm has just moved from an indoor low 70 degrees Fahrenheit environment, to our sunroom - with temperatures averaging in the 80's this week.
The tree resides in a 10-inch square pot [and it is still moist inside there].

Any suggestions for the amount of water to put in the pot, when my Chinese Elm pot is dry enough?

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 34

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
water it until water is running out the drain holes...and then water it a little more. The key variable that is tricky to nail is the frequency between waterings.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
As above. It is important to water to run off to flush out any leftover minerals and possible toxins that may build up in the soil. Without regular flush you'll eventually see white powdery crust develop and tree decline due to build up of minerals dissolved in water.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I'd start with watering every other day given the amount of foliage and the size of the pot. You may need to go to every 3 days but 2 is a starting point in my mind.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For ficus (as well as most other species) I allow the surface of the soil to get dry, but I water immediately when it is dry, because I don't want the soil to grow dry beneath the surface.

When in doubt, water too much. An overwatered ficus might develop fungal issues, but fungal infections can be treated, and the tree can recover. An unwatered ficus will eventually just dry up and die, and there's no known cure for death.

Fortunately, most ficus trees can tolerate a fairly wide range of soil wetness. It has to get very dry or very wet for a long time to outright kill a ficus. It's part of the reason they're so popular as bonsai.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Not sure the on the type of Chinese elm you have , but my Chinese elms freeze to my bench in the winter in North Raleigh, when the temp dips below 20 degrees I place them on the ground,

Just my two cents opinion

Thanks

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any suggestions for the amount of water to put in the pot, when my Chinese Elm pot is dry enough?
Keep in mind that overwatering issues arise from watering at too close intervals (like everyday when that is not needed by the weather). On the flip side, you can't really give your tree too much water in a single watering session. Learning how to water each tree individually is an art in itself, but when you water let it pour. I go over my trees with the wand giving them plenty of water and then back around to hit them again. Water is literally pouring out of all the pots. In fact, most of the water drains out of the pots, leaving a modicum of water retained by the bonsai soil. When I get home from work, I check the soil on the water-intensive trees (all trees when it's really hot). Perhaps I need to water these again. I'll go back around in the morning checking out the soil of each of my trees. Anything that needs water gets a Biblical deluge.

Although we are advised not to water on a schedule, I find the trees put themselves on a schedule and it becomes easier to tell which need water when. For example, I've been hitting the JMs every other day for the past month or so - a schedule of sorts. I still check the soil and, now that the temps are dropping somewhat, this schedule is changing.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For ficus (as well as most other species) I allow the surface of the soil to get dry, but I water immediately when it is dry, because I don't want the soil to grow dry beneath the surface.

When in doubt, water too much. An overwatered ficus might develop fungal issues, but fungal infections can be treated, and the tree can recover. An unwatered ficus will eventually just dry up and die, and there's no known cure for death.

Fortunately, most ficus trees can tolerate a fairly wide range of soil wetness. It has to get very dry or very wet for a long time to outright kill a ficus. It's part of the reason they're so popular as bonsai.

I just looked at this again and realized you said Chinese elm. I'm not sure where I got ficus from. I must have had ficus on my mind. Anyway, same advice applies, except I can't comment from personal experience on the drought or moisture tolerance of Chinese elm. I assume since they're considered easy to care for they they must be reasonably resilient.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't water on a schedule. Water when the tree needs it.
Use the chopstick method. Leave a wood chopstick stuck in the pot and look at it every day.
Water the tree when the stick is almost dry and water thoroughly as described by @Kanorin
After a couple of years, you will learn when the tree needs water and wont need the chopstick any more
Watering to a schedule can lead to problems either with over or underwatering.

Top Bottom