End of year sale quince

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked this up last week, staring at it and internet bonsai for ideas.. has nice lines to my eye, my first flowing tree. Excited to play with it. Just sharing.
BrentDB61B7F1-41F5-4654-A850-D7A7CA00CB65.jpeg

Attachments

• D72F2C89-9F18-4579-809F-AEF9CDF672E4.jpeg
    D72F2C89-9F18-4579-809F-AEF9CDF672E4.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 149
  • BC6B950E-B8E3-4053-8B52-F64FE2D9855E.jpeg
    BC6B950E-B8E3-4053-8B52-F64FE2D9855E.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 137

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not a bad tree at all. I can see a couple different way to go with it. Im sure someone will say to cut it back to the first branch. But i think if it was mine i would keep it and go with one of the top branches heading left as a leader. Good pick up.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That flowering quince, Chaenomeles, is from the Proven Winners series, I think "Double Take" ®.

It's a good one for growing up as a single trunk. It has a growth pattern that is upright, much like 'Toyo Nishiki'. In just 2 years one plugged into the landscape at my folks topped 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide.

I would let it grow out, but remove suckers to keep it single trunk. When main trunk is over 1 or so inches diameter, do your first major pruning (chop back hard). You might wait for 1.5 inch diameter, but I doubt it will ever exceed 2 inches diameter.

Nice quince, I need to get myself one soon.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a bad tree at all. I can see a couple different way to go with it. Im sure someone will say to cut it back to the first branch. But i think if it was mine i would keep it and go with one of the top branches heading left as a leader. Good pick up.
Looking at other examples, I find the taller literati trees to be very interesting with blooms. Tall windswept also an idea that I find interesting for this guy...
B

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Since when, do Quince flower in autumn?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tall windswept also an idea that I find interesting for this guy...
I would advise against this, tho it is a matter of opinion. For me, it only brakes the illusion that the wind is strong enough to shape the tree but these perfect flowers hold fine?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Looking at other examples, I find the taller literati trees to be very interesting with blooms. Tall windswept also an idea that I find interesting for this guy...
B

Flowering quince, Chaenomeles, is related to the apple family, Malus. In nature Chaenomeles are almost always a shrub, almost never naturally remain single trunk. If you see an old single trunk Chaenomeles, you need to assume a human has actively intervened over the years to keep it single trunk. There is a 40 or more year old Chaenomeles 'Minerva' on our farm, it is a huge shrub, hundreds of branches coming from the ground, covers a patch 15 feet wide by about 3 feet in width. No single branch taller than 7 or 8 feet, no single branch larger than 1.5 inches in diameter.

Flowering quince are easily trained to many styles, including single trunk styles. Like junipers they are almost horticultural ''silly putty'' easily trained to most styles.

They can be trained in informal upright styles, much like a small apple tree. Flowers and fruits are the key attractive features of Chaenomeles, especially their habit of blooming off and on all year with peak bloom in spring, and a significant autumn bloom, especially if pruned in early summer.

A windswept tree, just looks odd with big double scarlet red flowers. I would avoid going windswept. Literati, informal upright, semi cascade, full cascade, clump and raft types styles are all good. Formal upright and windswept and any of the mainly for pines and conifers styles should probably be avoided.

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
Hey Leo- (or anyone) Would it be detrimental (or beneficial) if I brought my quince indoors...perhaps after a "short winter" ...maybe 45 days... outdoors, but not the full brunt of a zone 6a winter? I have about half a dozen various Chaenomeles...chojubai included, and I have a grow tent and some T-5 fixtures. I'm not really into tropicals and I only have 2 dwarf schefflera bonsai to fill the space.

scarriedoc

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought 3 of these this year, 2 pink and 1 peach. I'm letting them grow in pond pots until next spring or longer but I'm excited for these. You may want to dig down a little to see the roots too since I found mine to be really interesting. Interesting enough that I'm planning on 2 of my 3 to be exposed root style.
0831191602b.jpg0831191601a.jpg

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought 3 of these this year, 2 pink and 1 peach. I'm letting them grow in pond pots until next spring or longer but I'm excited for these. You may want to dig down a little to see the roots too since I found mine to be really interesting. Interesting enough that I'm planning on 2 of my 3 to be exposed root style.
View attachment 265994View attachment 265995
You'rer right, those roots are interesting.... Fall looks like time to report, guess I'm digging into mine, so to speak.

B

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, this guy has some nice quince trees.
I finally got a chance to watch that video, interesting trees indeed. Makes me want a pink one. Like the tall, sparse look of some of his trees, very elegant.

B

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would advise against this, tho it is a matter of opinion. For me, it only brakes the illusion that the wind is strong enough to shape the tree but these perfect flowers hold fine?
I have heard this argument before and from a traditionalist viewpoint it is absolutely true. However I would not be at all reluctant to use a quince or any another flowering tree in a windswept or any other style because you are only dealing with the blooms for a few days or maybe a week or two. But given a choice, I would probably opt for a semi cascade or cascade over windswept for flowerring plants, it is more a mater of what the plant lends itself to.

Top Bottom