Engelmann Spruce Update

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is the original thread; http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthr...n-Engelmann-Spruce&highlight=michael+hagedorn

I reworked this tree last month by thinning it out and rewiring it, as it had gotten far too bushy and lost its "high mountain" look. When I set it up to take pictures this evening, I came to the sudden realization that the top is straight and boring and makes the tree too tall. I got out the cutters and lopped off all the upper branches, then stripped the bark off in a fit of bonsai passion! I immediately felt better, and took another picture. This new deadwood will be left to dry out a little, and in the future will get a lime sulfur treatment.

Thoughts?

Before and after; DSCF2236.JPGDSCF2237.JPG

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The after photo is much better. Can't wait to see it after it after the foliage pads develop!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks! I always like coming home after workshops, conventions, or other learning experiences and looking at my benches with new eyes.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes it is much improved shorter. I am not sure I like the deadwood however... JMO. You'll have to call this one "the Unicorn" should you keep it!;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is a very nice tree. I love how it has barked up so nicely. How old do you suppose it is?

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much better for sure. Can you extend the jin into a bit of shari to blend the living and dead portions? I think that would enhance the image a bit.
Dave

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good idea Dave, that would work better...

And Brian, the best part is that you saw the way forward on this tree with your own eyes, no one showed it to you. I find that sometimes that happens to me, I see a tree in a different way... I guess that means we are improving our eyes.

BTW nice photography and stand as well!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks all! I agree the top looks a bit too perfect and artificial.

Dave, I actually plan on doing that in the near future, as the jin seems to appear out of nowhere and not really be a part of the tree. Either that or remove it completely, we'll see.

Judy, thanks for the compliments!! I just bought the stand a couple months ago from Jerry and I absolutely LOVE it. For photography I actually use a cheap point-and-shoot camera with some photo lights I bought on eBay for relatively low cost (not professional), and I use a giant felt sheet as a backdrop. The backdrop works better with pure black, as the white tends to have shadows. I'm sure the photos would look far better if I had better backgrounds and maybe a nicer camera, but this works for now and it's something anyone can do!

Last edited:
Top Bottom