Eucalyptus, have you used one?

Simple_Man81

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I thought I'd revive this post. Living in Southern California, eucalyptus is like a weed. I despise them as a landscape tree. Their giant branches snap off all the time. Their leaf and bark litter is God awful. I have many on my acreage and I'd love to see them all gone. With that being said they're still beautiful trees. So I decided to give a few a go. They were all field dug under a large grove of very compact Eucs. Not sure of the variety. Maybe a brittle gum? All had very substantial tap roots and long thin radial roots. I cut below the lingotuber about one inch and kept the radial roots to just inside the width of the pond basket. We'll she how they develop. If at all. I've read conflicting reports about the viability of trees after heavy root disturbance. I used rooting hormone on the cuts and also a liquid rooting solution in my watering. They be only spent 24hrs in the pond baskets. Soil comp is pumice, scoria, pine bark fines, calcined clay, sand and coco coir.

Attachments

• 20180319_115737.jpg
    20180319_115737.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20180319_115825.jpg
    20180319_115825.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 25
  • 20180319_115855.jpg
    20180319_115855.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 24

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Well, I would like to revive this post too. Here in Brazil, it is really common to find some "eucalyptus forests", they do really well in here. From my experience, keeping their soil moist is a must so as to keep them alive. Also, they aren't really selective when it comes to the soil. Some might even grow an acidic compacted soil, provided that you water it thoroughly.
After reading this post, I am really prone to starting some seeds so as to make bonsai material! If this happens, I will surely post something here.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Here is one growing out, started from seed a couple of years ago. Currently it is responding perfectly to a defoliation with new buds down low. It's my experiment tree as before I do anything to its prettier sister I test it out on this one.

Badly needs a repot though, I may do that today as I'm feeling kind of productive.

Bad pic but, sorry.

IMG_20190817_122037669.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
While I'm at it a couple more young ones. Again they mainly need growing out for a few years but if I can get movement in them now it's a good thing.

This one is a Corymbia maculata or Spotted Gum.
IMG_5971ws.jpg

And this an E. viminalis or Manna Gum, probably should thin this one out a bit before wiring up properly.
IMG_5970.JPG

My favourite genus for sure.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two young ones even though they are well out of my zone. The lemon eucalyptus is from seed, two years old and will be under lights in my plant room. The larger (actually two) are rainbow eucalyptus that are grown from cuttings, two years, and are growing like weeds. One is wired and one untouched. The will be housed in a heated greenhouse this winter. I know next to nothing about them.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have two young ones even though they are well out of my zone. The lemon eucalyptus is from seed, two years old and will be under lights in my plant room. The larger (actually two) are rainbow eucalyptus that are grown from cuttings, two years, and are growing like weeds. One is wired and one untouched. The will be housed in a heated greenhouse this winter. I know next to nothing about them.

If you can overwinter them then that will be the biggest challenge, the lemon euc will be more forgiving than the rainbows as it is a tropical species so if the greenhouse is above freezing then it could be alright. Just do any major work on them in the warmer months.

As a side there are plenty of more versatile species around for colder climates and some are as spectacular as the rainbows if not more so.
The snow gums E. coccifera and pauciflora spring to mind as having some of the best bark around.

This is a good list of colder climate Eucs although temps listed are in celcius.
Googling the bark on those species may convince some to give them a try.

SquatJar

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
starfox, it may be a varietal difference but I've raised hundreds of C. Maculata from seed to revegetate my property and when they look pale green like yours it normally means they are starving. I normally give them a big dose of fert and they respond with beautiful leathery growth which is a variety of shades from deep red to brown. This growth then matures to a glossy dark green. I'll try get a pic for you

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah that was the way it came from the nursery, that and the viminalis show signs of weakness.
My guess is they have been on a dripper and over watered. Both have been repotted with granular fert and will also get a weekly dose of liquid fert so I think they'll perk back up.

Top Bottom