Europe oldest tree

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The oldest tree in the world is called Methusela. A bristlecone pine. 5000 or more years old.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aren't the British Isles, Italy, etc. in Europe? ;) There are trees older than 1,000 years old in Europe. I'm not sure how CNN came up with that information.

Last edited:

Slow Learner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From the article

"The millennium-old Bosnian pine was discovered by a group of scientists from Stockholm University, the University of Mainz and the University of Arizona, who announced their findings Friday"
"The team took a core of its wood, which measured one meter in diameter, and counted the annual rings, determining it is the oldest known living tree in Europe"

Claims of "oldest" tree other than the 5000 year-old bristlecone pine in California are not individual "oldest" trees. The tree in Norway, for instance, is a clone of parent tree--which means the age being cited is of the original individual tree that spawned it, as well as its age. Clones (ground layers of branches, root suckers ect.) are part of the original tree, but may not have been living when the older tree was begun, so they are actually younger, just made of the same genetic material.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The oldest discoverd tree in the worls is in Sweden. It is 9550 years old - proven scientifically. It is a European spruce, Picea abies, the British call it Norways spruce. Google 'oldest tree Sweden spruce'.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There are trees older than 1,000 years old in Europe.

Llangernyw Yew (North Wales) : 4,000 years old

Olive Tree of Vouves (Crete) : over 3,000 years old

Chestnut Tree of One Hundred Horses (Sicily) : est. between 2,00 and 4,00 years old

etc.

The oldest discoverd tree in the worls is in Sweden. It is 9550 years old - proven scientifically.

But it's a bit different: actually the low branches layer themselves, so when the mother tree dies, a new one (or a layer of the old one) replaces it. Not exactly the same as many olive trees around the Mediterranean basin that are thousnds years of age.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The oldest discoverd tree in the worls is in Sweden. It is 9550 years old - proven scientifically. It is a European spruce, Picea abies, the British call it Norways spruce. Google 'oldest tree Sweden spruce'.

Oldest tree is a bit inaccurate according to some info on the web--It's a qualified oldest
From the Wikipedia entry--Tjikko originally gained fame as the "world's oldest tree",[1] however, this is inaccurate, as only clonal trees, and not individual trees, are known to live this long. Though there are older clonal trees, Old Tjikko is recognized as the oldest living clonal Norway Spruce.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
But it's a bit different: actually the low branches layer themselves, so when the mother tree dies, a new one (or a layer of the old one) replaces it.

I have the ax that George Washington famously used to cut down the cherry tree. It is has been in my family for generations and has been used so much that the handle has been replaced a couple dozen times and the head was replaced at least twice. Isn't it amazing that we have the same ax that George Washington once owned. ;)

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't care, I discovered the oldest rock from W and N Africa and it's 3.55 Billions years old :p

Just kidding, I care, these trees are pretty amazing :)

Top Bottom