Experimenting with wiring/styling

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I got this phylaria which is local to our forest few months back and already was told that it has no potential for bonsai unless the node it has goes off... I decided against doing that as its a very old Tree and I really love the unique shape which resembles a dino head or a skull as well as the bark on the lower trunk and node.
So plan is to have a first go at styling and wiring to maybe improve its shape and learn a bit more on that as most of my trees have a long way to go before I style and wire...
Appreciate if you can provide any info on this specie, whether it takes fine to bare rooting (repoting in better soil in Mar...) and also how it reacts to pruning chopping... I won't do any drastic changes and believe will go either broom style or just have a more triangular canopy. Tree is doing very good and has responded to fertilizing by a lot of growth but not sure if I should be pinching or pruning. I can also start pruning the crossing branches so to have a better picture of what can be done with what remains.
Thanks for any input you can give.
Front view
IMAG0318.jpg
Close up of the branches
IMAG0319.jpg
Top View
IMAG0320.jpg
Thanks for your input.

Not familiar with the species, I doubt many here are, but from what I can see the species should do well as may of the other sub-tropicals we see used in bonsai. Your big problem with this one is that large and unusual gall in the center of the trunk. Looks like someone tried to air layer it off and the layer failed.

Reactions: Vin
Your big problem with this one is that large and unusual gall in the center of the trunk.
I find it and the trunk below rather interesting, actually. The thought that crossed my mind is to pull/direct branches down to fashion the canopy like a lampshade - the image of a living table lamp. :cool:

Not familiar with the species, I doubt many here are, but from what I can see the species should do well as may of the other sub-tropicals we see used in bonsai. Your big problem with this one is that large and unusual gall in the center of the trunk. Looks like someone tried to air layer it off and the layer failed.

Thanks
Indeed couldn't find any info on it as Bonsai online.
The bulge is actually what I liked about it. Not sure how it happened. It was identified as an artefact fit this Tree to have bonsai potential which I'm fine with... Just planning to experiment with the upper part.

I find it and the trunk below rather interesting, actually. The thought that crossed my mind is to pull/direct branches down to fashion the canopy like a lampshade - the image of a living table lamp. :cool:

I like it too, and the texture below the bulge is very nice as well.
That would be an interesting shape, would you suggest pulling the branches even lower than the bulge?
Thanks

I like it too, and the texture below the bulge is very nice as well.
That would be an interesting shape, would you suggest pulling the branches even lower than the bulge?
Thanks
Not, per se; just be like a table lamp, the bottom edge of the shade would be just above the gall/bulge.

Personally, I think an image with the foliage positioned just as a lampshade would be the best. But since the 'shade' will be branches and foliage and not solid material, some thin branches with a few leaves hanging down so that the bulge is seen through gaps or that it is framed by descending branches may prove to be more pleasing/interesting. You just need to experiment and see how it works out - in other words, have some fun with it.

Back
Top Bottom